Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I cam to this forum for some help on an issue I am having with my bike. So some backstory on the events leading up to the strange electrical and clutch issues. I was filling up at a gas station and after I tried to start it: everything normal, fuel pump primes, lights come on ect... When I hit the ign. switch all lights go out and it died. Had a buddy roll start it for me and we rode about 15 mins before stopping, where it randomly died again. Couldn't get it to start, even rolling it didn't help, we tried to jump it, it started right up no problem. It would die around 20 seconds later. So I had it towed back to my house. I assumed it was just a dead battery but decided to check the wiring going from the battery into the tail. Nothing out of the ordinary except for one pin connector (black/white) running to a block in the left-hand side of the tail running from the battery bundle. I reconnected it tried to start the bike, nothing. I kept trying and then the fuel pump started going in and out of priming and the lights were going on and off in sync with it. it's like it was switching on and off repeatedly. Now I can't shift it into 1st or second gear, and it makes an audible clunk sound when I try. Any ideas? I'm really hoping I didn't screw it up worse but I'm afraid I did. There's no 'click' when you shift up or down like you do normally. Very worried that I broke something much worse than just a 'dead battery.' Any help or advice I can get would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
get an ohm meter and check your charging system. a voltage meter will tell if the regulator is sending enough volts to charge the battery or to much which will fry components.it sounds like the battery is undercharged. and how can you check the gears if the bikes not running.

·
Super Moderator
12,787 Posts
Basics first.
The symptoms you describe are most often caused by a loose or corroded connection at the battery posts.
Your jumper cables connect to the OUTSIDE of the battery connectors, that's why the jump worked so good.

FORGET what you think is wrong with the transmission.
Most people NEVER try to shift when the engine is not running and it works and feels a LOT different.

There is a bad connection somewhere......either inside the battery or outside.
Check all the connections and charge the battery.
And you need to carry a meter with you so if it happens again you can check the battery itself.
And you can use the meter to check the charging voltage too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts