Motorcycle Forum banner

Need Help! Oil lines coming from crankcase cover???

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Aussie Steve 
#1 ·
Hello All, This is my first post in the forum and potentially the first of many. I am looking in to buying a Suzuki GS1100L as a winter project. Everything seems to check out except for these 2 lines coming from crankcase! The top one runs under the tank to the transmission. I am not sure where the other one runs to. Has anyone ever seen this? Is it a red flag? I do not know much about motorcycles as this would be my first. Thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome.
I don't know....and can't tell much from your picture.....but it sounds like crankcase vent lines maybe.
What does the present owner say ?
And what year model is it ??

A shop manual for the proper model likely would be VERY helpful.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. It’s a 1983 Suzuki GS1100L. The owner has owned it for about 30 years and his uncle (the original owner) installed this line that goes from the oil cap on the crankcase over to the transmission. It is all aftermarket. The owner stated that it was done to help the transmission from blowing a seal? I’ve just never seen anything like it and do not know much about bikes. Wondering if it is a red flag and I should just walk away from it.

#5 ·
Most Jap bikes have a crankcase breather but not for the transmission which shares the oil...an added line here would be uneeded. I wonder if the original owner was worried about condensation forming in the motor/gearbox due to lack of running? I assume the gearbox breather is that pipe stuck through the dipstick....easy enough to delete...just fit a new dipstick. As ER says ask the seller why they fitted it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.