Motorcycle Forum banner

Need help with a 1999 Suzuki gz250

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
My 1999 Suzuki gz250 is repeatedly losing power and bottoming out. Happens if I let it idle too long, and when in gear. It seems the only way to keep it from doing this is to constantly be on the gas. Maintenance I've already done: Carburetor taken apart and blown out with compressed air (hit the small gold idle pins as well), checked air filter and gas filter (both are fine but I hit those with compressed air anyways), just threw in a new spark plug. I'm currently waiting for a new ignition coil with spark plug wire and cap to come in the mail. I'll be replacing that as soon as possible. Is there anything I am missing that would cause a loss of low-end power??

#2 ·
YOu are wasting time and money by guessing at parts to replace.
Could be a vacuum leak.
Could be a blocked fuel line, including a blocked tank vent.
Could be a simple case of sticky throttle cable and idle stop screw set too low.

The GZ 250 engine has to have partial choke for a LONG time before it will idle good on it's own.

I had to give my GZ a dose of B12 about every 3rd tank of fuel to keep it idling good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.