Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SV650 which I love, added upgraded seat, grips and a Givi wind screen for the bugs:bluethum:. Love the power and handling but want something I can go 5-8 hours on and not feel like death. I am 6'2" 205, use my bike as a commuter 40 miles (each way) daily, frequent rides in mountains and moving back to Colorado in a year. I want 1-Comfort, 2-Performance, 3-lower total cost, 4-style. When I say cost I'm talking total cost of ownership like parts, maintenance, reliability, insurance and real world fuel economy. Stuff I can only learn from other owners. I have looked at: Bandit 1250, used BMW R1200RT, Triumph Tiger, VStrom 1000, BMW F800GS and others :lol4:. Bike must kick-ass on corners:twisted:, offer some wind protection and be comfortable with an upright riding position. My SV-650 is going to my wife who was recently bitten by the bug so not too much 2 up riding. Thank you brother and sister riders for the help.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Welcome. That's a good list. Look up Rickster's posts on why he sold his DL1000 for a Bandit 1250 (hint: wind management).

The Tiger is a good looking bike, but I've heard one firsthand account that the suspenders aren't great for the money.

Can't speak to the Beemers. I'd say the 800 fits your theme best.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm a fan of the Buell Ulysses XT. As soon as I can afford 2 bikes I'll sell the SV and get one of those and a supermoto bike.... Its hard to beat the SV for the "2-Performance" and "3-lower total cost" catagories you listed; and it can be made comfortable fairly inexpensively with a seat, rearset plates, and a different handlebar (if you really wanna sit upright).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input and ideas

Came across a left-over 2007 Bandit 1250S in black :bluethum:. I am paying "full price" but getting Suzuki side cases and heated grips (possibly same as the V-Strom) included, I consider it a good deal (they need to eat too). That same "bang for the buck" that landed me on my SV650 and more friendly monthly payment made this one I couldn't pass up. 510 miles in first 3 days, insurance went up $30/month adding the 2nd bike and got 47 MPG on the 2nd tank. Super smooth power delivery, corners great, comfortable riding position. See everyone out there :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts