Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 yamaha vstar 1100 classic. When I turn to key over I get absolutely no power to the bike. I am on my third battery just this summer alone. I have changed the main relay under my seat and put another new battery in it and it's doing it again. I have no idea what it could be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Don

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
Welcome.

If you REALLY have no idea what it could be......then you need to take it to a shop and let them fix it.
Not trying to be nasty but just trying to be practical about it.

IF.....you insist on trying to fix it yourself......you first need a multi-meter to check voltages.
You should have done that BEFORE you wasted you money on 2 batteries that you probably didn't really need.
You likely have already wasted around $200 or more on batteries alone.
If you keep shotgunning parts at it based on a wild guess.......it is likely to cost you a lot MORE; maybe more than a shop bill.

The most common cause of this kind of problem is that the charging system isn't working and the battery is just simply going dead.
To test for that, you need a meter.

A small battery tender type charger will be useful too.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont have a yamaha, but i learned the hard way on my suzuki vs1400.

First, check the grounds and all the electrical connectors, clean if they have any corossion or build up. I use 220grit sandpaper to gently clean them, especially the main ground to the engine. May not help, but wont hurt.

If you're going to wrench on your nike, get the factory service manual if you can. It will help.

Get a decent multimeter and learn how to use it if you dont know how.

Finnaly, Follow the service manual troubleshooting procedures. This would include the stator continuity and output, regulator/rectifier performance, wire harness, etc...

Also, Check youtube for videos that show the different procedures if you can, they can also help.

The problems with my bike turned out to be a couple of wires missing a little insulation and fraying, and a bad rectifier/regulator. Between those two problems i was getting melted wire conectors, engine misfires, and the battery not charging correctly and then failing to start/run.

And if all esle fails, take it to a good shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts