Motorcycle Forum banner

Need help with my gn 250 electrical system

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Aussie Steve 
#1 ·
i have a 95 Gn 250(i know!! dont laugh!! :-| ) i had to push it home a while ago when the battery died on the way to work.. on closer inspection i found out that the battery wasnt charging when the engine was on.
firstly i replaced the battery. and still no charge
secondly, replaced the regulator rectifire. still no charge :-|
thirdly had to track down and replace the genorator.
my mate ( who always fixis my bikes) said it was charging so off i went ......after about 3 days....it deid again.......i purchased a volt meter to check if it was charging and it wasnt!!!! the bulbs didnt get any brighter when i reved( just slowly dimmer)
i am at my witts end!!!!! i have no idea what the problem is.... i hope it hasnt blown another genorator cause they cost more than i paid for the bike to replace!!!!! does any one have any ideas???? Apart from taking it to a profesional motorcycle electrician :| cause i need some advice!!!!

ps forgive my spelling :neutral:

#3 ·
First, get a mechanics manual for your bike. OEM is best bet but Clymers or Haynes publications are a good place to start. There will be a section on electrical troubleshooting. It will describe the places to check, resistances, voltages and amps to expect and what equipment to use. As each bike differs, there is little other way to properly diagnose the problem.

- Good luck, George

#4 ·
just a Quick up- date.after much testing with my volt meter, the results showed me that it is charging at around 12.8 to 13.3 volts,(or sometimes it just doesnt charge at all) when aparently it should be around 13.8 to 14.2 i have just carried on using my bike dispite it not charging properly, i purchased a trickle charger and every night when i put it away in the shed i just plug it in and by morning the battery is fully charged.... also one more thing i am trying to get hold of a service manual for it and Haynes just dont do one for the gn 250, they do one for the gn 125 but no 250:-( so i will check out Oem and Clymers( as George suggested, thanx dude)

#5 ·
Now i am very puzzled,,,because the nearist thing to a gn 250 workshop manual i could find was in japanese,,,, no other publishers seem to enclude it?? the only thing i found was Haynes Manual 0888 "Gs, Gn, Gz & Dr 125s" would this one give me the relivant information about my bike or are the 125s totally different???? if so does anyone know of a workshop manual that i could get hold of that is for my bike?????
or is my only option to drive it into the canal, buy a new more popular bike that more than at least 1 other person in England owns and one where i wont get laughed at every wear i go on the dam thing!!!!lol :)

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Since his last post was about 11 years ago, I don't think he is going to be much help.

I suggest that you start your own thread, describing your bike and the symptoms of the problem and what if anything you have already done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.