Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 2006 suzuki gs500f and just cleaned the carbs really good every thing is as it should be lol. However when I pull my throttle cable it will idle high and stay there then it will idle lower and the bike shuts off. The push pull cables are working like they should be I also benched synched the butterfly's with a needle I go on to you tube and see a lot of the same exact issues with this bike then only thing I havent done was re calibrating the tos with a volt meter. Any help would be great

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
Classic symptom of a substantial vacuum leak somewhere.
But first, you need to be absolutely sure that the butterflies are mechanically closing like they should......and that the idle speed stop is not backed out too far.

Your wording of "when I pull my throttle cable" makes me wonder about everything not being mechanically connected properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about the wording with the cables Ive been catching hell ever since I got this bike Could it be a bad sensor for the vacuum that connects to the carburetor or a tps that's outta adjustment

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
Bikes with carbs usually do NOT have a tps; that goes along with fuel injection.

If the carbs have diaphragms on top, they could be leaking but I doubt they are made that way.

I've never seen a "vacuum sensor" on a bike with carbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This one does it's a 2006 suzuki gs500f see pics below well the know to my petcock fell off it's a vacuum actuated petcock could that have been the source of my air leak I just ordered a one off ebay I sprayed starting fluid around the carb boots and around the cylinder casing and the idle stayed the same but when I got around the airbox boots my.bikes idle raised and that's where the petcock in located I'm solid no leaks till I get to the airbox area any help will be great

Attachments

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
The Bandits do have a TPS even the carb ones. The air leak may be due to the boot clips being too tight causing them to curl away from the sealing surface. Also the vacuum pipe being loose or off the fuel valve willl certainly cause an air leak.

You must make sure the small 'o' rings on the carb tops are in place as they are part of the enricher circuit and can be easily lost or not placed correctly. Finaly I found the slide return spings could sometimes get tangled when installing the carb tops causing the offending carb/s to 'hang' at high rpms.

The way round this is to have the carbs off the bike or the air box removed when putting the tops on. Using a finger you push the slide up the bore and at the same time bring the cap down making sure the spring top coil is seated in the recess of the top.. Hold the slide up while screwing the top down.. You can easily check the operation of the slide with your finger through the carb inlet.

One other thing is to make sure the vacumm port rubber caps are all in place and not damaged...had one a few years back that was split from using plyers when taking it off. If you find one that is the bleed nipple rubber caps are the same size and type so can be used as a substitute and then later replaced.

Ps mine was a B1200 four but yours will be similar.

hope this helps good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do yourself a favor and lose the vacuum petcock setup. Lose the hoses. Lose the canister. And cap off the open vacuum nipples. Then run the petcock on "prime" and just remember to turn it to "on" or "reserve" when parked. That'll eliminate about 10 leak sources. Plus you'll have the ability to control flow in case of a flood, and limp home if need be. Personal preference. I also have both a bandit 1200 and gs500. The 500 has tps, but likely that's not your issue. If I remember correctly, the 500 has no tiny o rings on the diaphragm cover. The ports are built into body and are a pain to sync because of it. There's so much it could be... make sure the mixture screws are set 2-3 turns if drilled out already. I've also seen the enrichment plunger deteriorate on mine. Worth a check. Try running with "choke" on. If it stays running you'll know it's not electrical. Check o ring on carb manifolds too. Also if you find yourself disassembling the bowls again, do research on bigger jets. I get 70mpg with a k&n, exhaust, and bigger jets. Runs so much better. Also research a quicker ratio throttle tube. Good luck, i love my 500, my commuter bike of 5yrs all for $1k.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok I have a 2006 suzuki gs500f and just cleaned the carbs really good every thing is as it should be lol. However when I pull my throttle cable it will idle high and stay there then it will idle lower and the bike shuts off. The push pull cables are working like they should be I also benched synched the butterfly's with a needle I go on to you tube and see a lot of the same exact issues with this bike then only thing I havent done was re calibrating the tos with a volt meter. Any help would be great
when you have more than person it gets more confusing find one mech & stick with him

1 - 9 of 9 Posts