Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a 1990 katana 750F that I am having a turn signal issue with. Bike runs great and came with a set of rear turn signals on the bike and no turn signals in front. I can get neither of the rear signals to work, but if I put one of the signals on the front of the bike the fronts seem to work (but still not the rear). I checked the fuse box and don't see any problems. Both of the rear signals appear to be wired.

Since I am definitely not a whizz with motor electronics, would my best bet be to take it to a repair shop and have them take a look at the wiring? Does it sound like it would be a quick and easy (and hence inexpensive) fix?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Joe

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a 1990 1100F Kat & have found that unless I have the front turn signals hooked up that the rears will not work either & vice versa. It might be that you need to have the fronts hooked up while also having the rears hooked up.

Did you try hooking one of the rears up to the front on the same side as the rear?

Of course the fronts should be a three wire hook up & that might also effect the rears if you are hooking up only two wires.

Before you take it to a shop buy some turn signals for the front & make sure they are a three wire hook up & buy some fuses, nice to have those on hand just in case.

If this doesn't fix the problem try looking for pinched wires.

The wiring on bikes are pretty simple, I am not an expert but have learned a lot of wiring from working on my Kat.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Dang, great answer and quickly to boot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GSX1100FL said:
Did you try hooking one of the rears up to the front on the same side as the rear?...

Of course the fronts should be a three wire hook up & that might also effect the rears if you are hooking up only two wires

Thanks for the reply. I can only find a two wire hookup for the front, not three so maybe my model is a bit different from yours. I did try hooking up one of the rears to the same side as the other rear and when I do that only the front turn signal will work. If the two signals are not hooked up to the same side neither of them will work. I will probably try with all 4 signals attached and if it does not work then take it down to get looked at. I just bought the bike and don't want to spend a week trying to figure out something that may be a 10 min thing for someone that knows what they are doing.

Joe

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sorry Rowdy, this is something I fought with on my Kat all all last winter & in to the summer.

Joe I just checked my Haynes manual for our bikes & it shows that you only have two wires for front & rear signals so either the problem is the bulbs, fuse, your switch on the handle bar, a pinched wire(s) or the relay, it could still be that you need all the indicators hooked up for them to work.

If you live in central Missouri I would be willing to come over & see if I could figure it out for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so here is what I have going now...I bought four new aftermarket turn signals. I have the two rear signals hooked up only and when I click the turn signal the light on that side will do one of three things. It will either stay constantly lit (no blinking), it will blink one or two times slowly then turn off, or it will blink very slowly (stay lit for about 4 sec each blink).

If I hook up the front turn signals in addition to the rears none of them will work. I am my wits end with this thing and I really don't want to go tearing apart the entire wiring harness. Any further suggestions before I bite the bullet and take this thing to a shop? Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
377 Posts
The next thing I would try would be the turn signal relay but it could also be in the turn signal switch.

Try taking the turn signal switch apart & cleaning it, the connections might be corroded.

Is your battery charged?

If those do not help then I say you will need to bite the bullet & take it to a stealership unless you now a private shop that does bike work.

Maybe someone here lives near you that could come over & look at it, if they have an idea about this type of problem.

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,182 Posts
Are the new turn signals using LEDs or lightbulbs? If it's an LED array, you need to add some resistors or something to make it work properly. Search this forum for a post from Nexus242 ... it's been discussed before.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm a low voltage tech for living and have to trouble shoot all kinds of crap except motorcycles and vehicles. What I would do is check the easy and ovious stuff as mentioned in earlier post. (Bulbs and connections) If those are good, check your grounds. One bad ground can cause problems with anything DC.

If all of that looks good, then start at the switch. Are you getting power at the switch? (You will need an volt/ohm meter)

If not, look between the battery and switch (Fuse?)
If so, move on to the connection (Probably where the Flasher is).

Have Voltage?
Is you do, move on to the blinkers.
If not, look in between.

Follow where I'm going with this? You will need a Volt/ohm meter to trouble shoot this. (Follow the path of the power to them.) At what point are you losing voltage?

My guess would be a bad ground, bad flasher, fuse (I'm sure you have checked), or broken wires.

Has anyone done any re-wiring on your bike for the blinkers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, weirdest things. I noticed that if I revved the bike the blinkers in the back started working more correctly. Took it for a spin and they were doing pretty well the whole trip. So when I got back I hooked up the front two again and they all worked! Not sure what it was that went wrong, but i'm not going to be messing with it anytime soon unless it stops working again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts