Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1993 intruder 1400 4 speed shaft drive. The frame was junk but motor and everything else is in great condition and definitely reusable. So I was thinking about just buying another frame and using all the parts. Problem is I can't use a salvaged frame due to state laws in Vermont cause the bikes over ten years old. So I was curious if it's possible to take all the shaft driven components and everything off this bike and put them on another frame like a chain driven 800 or something that used to be chain driven.? Here in Vermont it's hard to find a donor bike that's a 1400 so if any one can tell me what frames of what bikes my 1400cc shaft drive will fit directly into that would be great! Any info on this would be a major help so I can have my bike back on the road by summer

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I think you'll find that a much bigger chalange than finding another intruder with a bad motor.
Post a WTB ad on craigslist for another bike,"need not run" and see what comes up.
Post the same in areas around you as well.
I think driving a few hundred miles to get one if need be would be less painfull and more cost effective that what you suggest doing.

·
Super Moderator
13,854 Posts
Problem is I can't use a salvaged frame due to state laws in Vermont cause the bikes over ten years old.
I think you need to check into that again.....and more closely.
You may have mis-interperted the laws.

Tell the DMV that you have one bike with a blown engine........and another one with a mangled frame........and you want to combine the good parts of both into one working vehicle.

I can't imagine that there wouldn't be some legal way to do that.

In general, the title/registration doesn't care about the engine number, so I think all you would need is a matching frame with a clean title, salvage or otherwise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to the website and the person I talked to on type phone both clearly said if it's over ten years old it can't be issued a salvaged title. I think it's stupid but I did think of the idea of another 1400 that's got a blown motor problem is there isn't any I've found at all. This can't be my only option seriously?

·
Super Moderator
13,854 Posts
According to the website and the person I talked to on type phone both clearly said if it's over ten years old it can't be issued a salvaged title.
Sometimes the worker bees at state agencies respond only to the EXACT question you pose to them.......and won't volunteer anything else, even if they know what you probably want.

So my point WAS......contact them again and tell them the situation as exactly as you can.
Don't say anything about "salvaged" title, just ask if the title you have would still be valid if you did "whatever you propose to do".
And if not, what you need to do to GET a valid title.

It is possible that a bike over 10 years old can be rebuilt from the ground up without needing any "special" title, or that they have some other classification other than "salvaged".

The problem sometimes is that you must ask the right question.......and they won't give you any help figuring out what IS the right question.
Might want to ask around at some independent bike shops or salvage yards. They likely have dealt with the problem before and know the solution.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the bike from a friend of mine it has never had a salvaged title nor been wrecked. The bike was kept outside and was turned to a bobber the wrong way I got it and intended on building it the right way but noticed the frame is junk wayyyyyyy more work then just a simple cut and reweld so I figured I'd just take it with me when I moved from wa state to Vermont. That's were the salvaged title comes in place. Read above closely. The frames I have found are from a motorcycle salvage yard with "PAPERS" but branded salvaged but are in good shape unlike the original frame. They claim it can't be ridden in the state cause its over ten years old and don't issue papers for salvaged titles over ten years old. Can't find a bike around here that's a 1400 to buy and do the motor swap so that's why I'm asking what other frames can I used or what I can do. In the end the simple version of this is.........what frames will a 1400 fit on and what years can I used or whatever to get this bike back on the road cause I'm basically starting with just a motor and all the other stuff just no frame

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Can you just cut the numbers off the junk frame and weld them into the salvage frame?
That would be problem solved if you have a title for the junk frame.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't tamper with the vin cause state patrol does inspections lol already thought of that one best thing I can do is just find another frame which seems impossible apparently :/

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Can't tamper with the vin cause state patrol does inspections lol already thought of that one best thing I can do is just find another frame which seems impossible apparently :/
What kind of inspections?
Are they going to just pull you over at random and inspect your bike?
Does it have to be inspected before title transfer or what?
If you cut the steering head off and weld it on anothtr frame you can just call it a frame repair,as long as there's no other numbers and nothing comes up stolen what can they do if you have a title that matches the VIN.

·
Super Moderator
13,854 Posts
Read above closely.
They claim it can't be ridden in the state cause its over ten years old and don't issue papers for salvaged titles over ten years old.
I might be off base here but I still think you might be missing a critical point here.
"salvaged" titles are issued to protect subsequent buyers from getting screwed on a wrecked bike.
In your state, apparently, they think that after 10 years that protection is not necessary AND THE NORMAL TITLE WILL STILL BE IN EFFECT, WRECKED OR NOT.
The title goes along with the frame.
You are having a problem finding a frame that will fit your engine but as long as it comes with a valid title, I don't see a problem.
Your present bike (frame) won't be "salvaged", it will be junk.......with a title.
Maybe you should be asking the DMV if you need to turn in the title.....to prevent someone else down the line from "stealing" the VIN.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I might be off base here but I still think you might be missing a critical point here.
"salvaged" titles are issued to protect subsequent buyers from getting screwed on a wrecked bike.
In your state, apparently, they think that after 10 years that protection is not necessary AND THE NORMAL TITLE WILL STILL BE IN EFFECT, WRECKED OR NOT.
The title goes along with the frame.
You are having a problem finding a frame that will fit your engine but as long as it comes with a valid title, I don't see a problem.
Your present bike (frame) won't be "salvaged", it will be junk.......with a title.
Maybe you should be asking the DMV if you need to turn in the title.....to prevent someone else down the line from "stealing" the VIN.

Good luck in your search.
from reading vermonts dmv website
if the vin has been flagged as salvage but has not been previously retitled as salvage operational by the dmv then they wont issue title for a vehicle older than 10 years.

from the bobbed's post he has a bike with a clean title that has a junk frame and can only find a salvaged non titled frame in his price range. which does not appear to have be retitled previously. which means he cant get a title issued.

so the 2 work arounds are cut the steering head off the titled bike and weld it on the salvaged frame ( changing vin) or title the junk frame. and then swap to the salvaged and hope the dmv never checks for any reason.

however there may be a legal out if he can get it titled as a custom frame. then there'd be a completely different set of regs to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
13,854 Posts
from the bobbed's post he has a bike with a clean title that has a junk frame and can only find a salvaged non titled frame in his price range. which does not appear to have be retitled previously. which means he cant get a title issued.
Totally F***ed up.
Does that apply to cars too ??
If so, I can't imagine the used car dealers and body shops in the state standing still for that very long.
It does appear that there is a bureaucratic problem here.......but I'd still like to talk to somebody at a salvege yard before I gave up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
See what I mean it's all bull about the salvaged laws here. The state runs state inspections to get tabs any alterations of the frame"cut" especially by the vin will be notices instantly by them unless your some slick welder that can do a perfect unnoticeable weld which I'm not lol the local shops won't do it either cause of liability for it. Yes the law goes for cars trucks anything with a title. Even if I ho to an outlanding state to get the papers it'll still have to pass inspection here in VT which they pry wouldn't pass it. Soooooo basically don't move to VT lol cause the laws suck big fat d*ck here

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I figured out what I can do about salvaged issues in vermont. Go to new Hampshire and get all the papers to file for salvaged title or abandon vehicle papers or u can also get an affidavit of leau and go from there since vt is so complicated so if anyone has these same issues as I have had this is how u can get around them. Hope this helps other people cause it took me months to find a way around the problems I was having

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.