Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just upgraded to a '98 Intruder 1500....wow, what a beauty!

I feel the urge to say a prayer of repentance, however, because I practically stole the bike. (When you combine the off-season, bad economy, and a poor chap going through a divorce trying to sell off all his toys before the ex gets them........well, that's when I get a great deal!)

I need to get some new tires for it, however. Any recommendations out there? Is going OEM replacement a bad idea? I don't know a whole lot about tires, but I can't break the bank on these.

Besides the OEM replacements, I've been looking at some Metzeler ME 880 Marathons, Pirelli MT 66s, and Bridgestone Spitfire S11s. Any opinions on these?

If you know of any brands/models that you'd recommend at a reasonable price, I'd love to know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice...and the link. Very helpful, indeed.

Will try to get some pics up in the next few days.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I've been using Metzeler ME880s for years on my Intruders and my old Harley, and the Metzeler Marathons they replaced for years before that. Always loved them, and got really good mileage out of them.

I use Dunlop Tour Elites on my newer Harley (they are always in stock at the dealer), and I find them to be a great tire on heavier bikes also.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice Dr. Bob. After reading the thread "ednjack" linked me to, though, and the "stress cracks" that had been appearing on some of those ME880s, I became a little apprehensive of going with those. You think I'd be fine?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I'm on probably my 8th set of Metzeler ME880s between the two bikes, and I have never had a problem with them. But I've never had the white wall either, so I can't speak to that. I tried Avons on the old Harley once, and while they handled great on try pavement the wet weather handling was very poor, and they wore out after half the miles of the Metzelers. I have Metzeler Mez 4s on the SV650, but I've only owned that bike for a week so I haven't really formed an opinion after only 400 miles on dry pavement. I've had really good service from the Dunlops also (just put the fifth set on the Electra Glide)- if my metric shop was out of Metzelers I'd get the Dunlops, and if my Harley dealer was out of Dunlops I'd put Metzelers on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just replaced both tires with the Pirelli MT66TOUR. They're a bit easier on the pocket when compared to the Metzlers, and the reviews on them are very good. A good looking tire with quite a bit of tread when compared to the stock Dunlop D404's that were the original tires....(replaced incidentally at 5300 miles with less than 2mm on the rear). Being the time of year it is, I've only put about 300 miles on them so far, but the ride is way above those Dunlops.

If you're net shopping for your tires, by all means check the prices at these places:

- American Motorcycle Tire

Motorcycle Superstore - Motorcycle Accessories and Motorcycle Gear

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help fellas! I went ahead and got the Metzelers and found a great deal at the Motorcycle Superstore. Free Shipping, extra $20 off coupon...best deal I found on the web! As always, thanks for all the advice!

I'll let you know how they ride as soon as they come in...

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Not a big fan of the Dunlap 404s- a decent low-cost tire, but they don't last very long except on a very light bike. The Tour Elites are miles above the 404s.

One of these days I am going to buy a set of Cheng Shin tires, the cheapest things on the market, to see just how crappy they are! LOL!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have been buying my tires at the Motorcycle Superstore as well (Pirelli Route66) but they cost me more because they are right here in town, so I pay the taxes. Anyway, kind of nice to be able to take the wheels and have the tires installed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update...

The Metzeler ME880s ride great! Very smooth. Grip wonderfully. Haven't seen the rain, yet, but so far...no complaints. Very satisfied.

·
May 2007 Member of the month
7,992 Posts
I want to try them too one of these days. But I ended up going back with the stock tires on my LC. Got 16,000 miles on the rear so I cannot complain. But I probably should have replaced it at 14,000 miles,,lol!!!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Not a big fan of the Dunlap 404s- a decent low-cost tire, but they don't last very long except on a very light bike. The Tour Elites are miles above the 404s.

One of these days I am going to buy a set of Cheng Shin tires, the cheapest things on the market, to see just how crappy they are! LOL!
I put one on the back of my Road King last year and only got 5,000 miles out of it, (the stock Dunlop went 12,000), and it made the bike feel strange in the turns, almost like the back tire was squared off, I would have to fight till I got leaned over to a certain angle, than it would all of a sudden want to flop over, so on certain lean angles it was almost impossible to hold a line.

Of course the strange handling could be because I still have a Dunlop in front, but it still wore out way to quick.

Sorry about the Hijack, I figure that since the OP already bought his tires nobody would care.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts