Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing the clutch cable in my Buell blast and I must have forgot to do something because when I started it in neutral and pulled the clutch and tried to shift it in the first the bike jump forward stalled out and the clutch cable is now shredded shredded. I was have problems earlier with the cable getting really really hot but I'm not sure that that caused this is there anything that holds the clutch assembly in besides that set screw and the little nut shaped thing with a spring on it

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Ok you just changed the cable and nothing else right? I just checked how yours is set up and it would appear its a quick thread style. The YouTube stated you have to loosen your cable at the inline adjuster. Remove the clutch outer cover and spring locking plate then back the centre screw out, counter clockwise until there is a slight resistance.

Turn it about one quarter back in and replace the locking plate and spring assembly. Operate the clutch about three or four times then take up the excess cable at the inline adjuster till there is about three mm cable play at the lever. Make sure the inline adjuster lock nut is tightened. Check it works then reinstall the cover.

The only reason I can think of why the cable may get hot....and more importantly only near where it enters the engine would be there is insufficient clearance between the clutch push rod and actuator. If this is the case the rod may be damaged and or if fitted a ball bearing may be missing or have fallen out. Why the cable got shredded is a mystery...pics may help.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts