Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching, but it is not working for me this morning. tried trolling to no success. gonna be one of those days.

06 M50 with close to 75k miles, clutch just started sliding if I didn't drive it like grandma. So I got a new one with a spring kit.

followed the manual step by step. Except we (I say we because I had an audience of 8 master Chrysler tech's on-looking) didn't disassemble everything. Just pulled the plates out, put the needle washers and wave springs back. didn't pull anything else. Put the new Plates in and torqued the new coil springs ... here is one thing I think might have screwed up. The guys said, try it out; there was ZERO tension on the clutch lever! from there we started taking the other covers off the find where to adjust the cable; never found it, we didn't know what we were looking for. I put everything back together, and at this point, lost my audience. big help they were... Still no tension on the cable. called a buddy, and he filled me in on where the adjustment for the clutch cable was. I set it to where it felt correct, and it felt good, and I could hear things working. started it, held in the clutch level, popped it in first and the bike took off! I stopped it before it hit the wall.

I am currently pouring back over the manual to look for the oops, and what it might be. I know the clutch is always engaged, and whatever is supposed to push/pull it apart is my problem. Has anyone had this issue and know the fix? I sure can't find it...

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Did you adjuat the clutch, or just the clutch cable? You need to adjust the clutch first, then the cable. Search this site for the thread "Clutch adjustment with pics"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the search function and my computer arn't getting along (not the first time) for some reason, i will when they stop disagreeing. I did get it safely moving, but I may need to revisit it soon. But at the time, yes, we/I did adjust all the cables. Probably not correctly. and as of now, everything is setting at the "loosest" setting and it is real tight.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
So you only adjusted the CABLE. That is your problem. Go to the indicated thread and follow the directions to adjust the CLUTCH, then adjust the cable for the correct freee play.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts