Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats going on everyone. Wanted to stop in and introduce myself.

I am kind of new to riding, previously I had owned a Honda XR400rr which I rode mostly off road. Totaled it out on a big down hill run then didn't ride for a while after that. :crippled:
Here recently I went through the MSF course here in Texas and got my Class M license. Now I am stuck on what bike to get. I have been riding a Yamaha V-Star 1100 but that thing scares the crap out of me. I cant tell if it is to much bike for me right now or im just being a little b*t** and need to keep riding it. Its a free bike that a family friend has, he never rides anymore so he told me I could take it out any time I wanted. I have the keys and everything, but have found my self hesitant to get on it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Im am positive I want a cruiser, being 6'3 and 200+lbs, I dont fit well on sport bikes. I am on a limited budget of no more than 3k.

Thats a little about me. I will post a picture of the bike I am currently (struggling) riding.

·
Registered
677 Posts
:welcomes:
That's a nice bike. Maybe something a little smaller would be better for you. The C50/M50 kind of size has been pretty good to me. I'm 6' 1" and fit pretty good on my M. I bet I would be even more comfortable on a C50 with floor boards and everything. Something in the 750-900cc range would be a good choice. If you really like the 1100, Yamaha makes a Vstar 950 that is a little bit smaller. That is a very nice looking ride, just a little expensive and probably out of the 3k budget. All else I can say is try doing some parking lot practice, and maybe that will help you get over the big bike fear. Learning to manage all that weight just takes a little time. Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome from Texas. Where in Texas are you?
South Austin, near Buda.

:welcomes:
That's a nice bike. Maybe something a little smaller would be better for you. The C50/M50 kind of size has been pretty good to me. I'm 6' 1" and fit pretty good on my M. I bet I would be even more comfortable on a C50 with floor boards and everything. Something in the 750-900cc range would be a good choice. If you really like the 1100, Yamaha makes a Vstar 950 that is a little bit smaller. That is a very nice looking ride, just a little expensive and probably out of the 3k budget. All else I can say is try doing some parking lot practice, and maybe that will help you get over the big bike fear. Learning to manage all that weight just takes a little time. Good luck and ride safe!
Thanks for the advice. He is also getting 2 1980's Virago 750's. I might get one of those, I think with that the fear of a drop is a whole lot less intimidating then the v-star. Who makes C50/M50's? Im guessing yamaha?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome from New Zealand. I have ridden the Yamaha you have pictured plus a selection of the other cruisers available here but settled on a Suzuki Boulevard M50(purchased new in 2011). This 2011 model is not available in the USA but the earlier models are. Can't comment on the cost for you but I am about your size(about an inch shorter but possibly a bit heavier) and find the M50 supremely comfortable. It feels way lighter than the Yamaha and handles well. The C50 is a bit heavier than the M50 because of the additional accessories but by no means a cumbersome beast. I just preferred the look of the M. Not sure about the class of licence you mention but I also have had a serious former event on a dirt bike when I was much younger and also spent many years away from bikes. I recommend you find a nice quiet stretch of road and just spend time on the bike even if you ride the same section over and over. You will be amazed at how quick the confidence improves when you become more familiar with your machine. Also I would strongly recommend you get a copy of a DVD called "A twist of the wrist". It is an invaluable guide to throttle control and cornering and you will be amazed at the difference it makes if you take heed of the advice it contains.
Hope this helps and best of luck with choosing your bike.

Happy and safe riding.

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate all the advise fellas. I have had some more seat time on the bike since I last posted. The 1100 is def. some thing to get used to. The low end torque is nice. I was having a lot of trouble with killing it. I am used to smaller cc bikes where you could almost kill them and then bring them back. With the bigger bikes, once you bog them they are dead.
Luckily I was smart and stayed in the neighborhood the first few rides and got used to it. I was making a left hand turn (no traffic) and killed it in the middle of the turn, almost dropped it and got a little frazzled. It was a good thing there wasn't a f-350 coming at me at 45mph or some thing.
I am now able to smoothly go from a stop and got some good techniques for tight turns from a stop.
This past weekend I put about 80 miles on the bike and enjoyed it. Now that I am not so worried about it, it had become more enjoyable.

I will check into the video Tuftim.

At the moment I do not have the $$$ to buy a C50 or M50. The v-star is doing just fine for now. I do however need to get a full face helmet. The wind kills your eyes at 60mph.

Thanks again guys. I will post some more pics some time.

·
Super Moderator
12,194 Posts
I was having a lot of trouble with killing it.
Probably normal for a new rider with a new bike BUT..........

A really lot of cruiser riders.....and salespeople......and even mechanics who should know better......seem to think that they all should lope at idle like an old John Deere tractor (or another heavy iron make we won't mention) but having your idle set too low is NOT good ......for the rider or the bike.

Usually I wouldn't recommend a bike that big for a new rider but you are a fairly big guy and you seem to be getting along good so my advice is "Hang in there and don't rush it." It takes longer than most people think to get REALLY proficient and comfortable on a big bike. Setting the idle up a bit might make you feel even more comfortable.

As you start doing more and more highway miles, a windshield is highly recommended.
Not only does the wind "kill" your eyes at speed but so do bugs and rocks and you may find your shoulders sore over long distances from "hanging on" to the bars in the face of the wind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Usually I wouldn't recommend a bike that big for a new rider but you are a fairly big guy and you seem to be getting along good so my advice is "Hang in there and don't rush it." It takes longer than most people think to get REALLY proficient and comfortable on a big bike. Setting the idle up a bit might make you feel even more comfortable.

As you start doing more and more highway miles, a windshield is highly recommended.
Not only does the wind "kill" your eyes at speed but so do bugs and rocks and you may find your shoulders sore over long distances from "hanging on" to the bars in the face of the wind.
I am not sure how to set the idle up, I will check into it. It sounds like it has some nasty cams right now haha.

I have a windshield, see above picture. I have found that it is not high enough for me and I actually sit higher than it. It is just blocking the wind from my body but my face is still left open. I plan to get a taller one soon.

Thanks for the input :bluethum:

·
Super Moderator
12,194 Posts
It sounds like it has some nasty cams right now haha.
That's a dead give-away that the speed is set WAY too low. :shock:

In addition to making it harder to get going off the line, the oil and coolant doesn't circulate good and the battery may not be charging either. It might be harder to start too and require more choke longer until it warms up good.

Overall a BAD thing to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man....you just listed the problems the bike has. If I don't leave the choke on long enough she just dies, any throttle and she dies. After a couple minutes at half choke she is good to go. I am deff going to look into this now. Might solve some issues.

Thanks! :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
12,194 Posts
Might solve some issues.
It definitely should help.
In addition, a double dose of a good carb cleaner, like Gumout or Berrymans in the gas might finish the job.
You will still need some choke while it's cold....but maybe not a much and not as long.

Note: The "double dose" above does NOT mean 2 cans; it usually means two ounces per gallon of gas, which for most bikes would be about 6 ounces. Read the directions on the can......PAST where it says to dump in the whole can, for a car.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Welcome! Easy is right about overdosing your tank with cleaner. My son's first bike was running rough and he kept adding carb cleaner until it quit running. I told him that you have to run the gas out first before you add more. LOL We had to dump it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome! Easy is right about overdosing your tank with cleaner. My son's first bike was running rough and he kept adding carb cleaner until it quit running. I told him that you have to run the gas out first before you add more. LOL We had to dump it out.
Ouch lol

Thanks for advise fellas! Im fixing to head out on the bike...Its 104 degrees, cant wait. I predict a 10lb loss of water weight on this ride. Taking plenty of water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome

I know all about anxiety after laying down your scoot. Very first time out I T-boned a park car. I could not get back on until a month later! My neighbor who had been riding for 30+ years asked me to start going on rides with him to get me in the groove again. It worked. Riding with another rider eased my anxiety and two years later you can't get me off my bike...As far as finding the right bike, I am always in the Harley shop, Honda shop or any shop I pass by, sitting on the bikes getting a feel for what a good fit is for me. I have even had sales people take pictures of me on dislplay bikes so I can see how I look on them...anyway good luck...be safe...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts