Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am in that "Hey I divorced her and I can do whatever I want!" phase. I am 63 and a retired LEO of 25 years. So...I had to scrape plenty of poor guys off the asphalt. I am 63, 6'0", 160 pounds and the only motorcycle I have ever ridden was the Kawasaki 125CC I drove in my new riders course. I am Catholic and there is a great bunch of riders, members of the Knights of Columbus. The group name is Knights on Bikes. I would really like to join. I have seen rally pictures and there appear to be plenty of older riders so I won't be the only older guy in the group. So, now comes my dilemma. I love the Shadow Aero. It is a beautiful and just enough power to do the longer rides on the highway. My question is whether the Shadow is a good "first bike?" I had thought to get a Rebel, drive it around for a year and graduate to the Shadow. Its just that I am not sure whether the Rebel has enough power to keep up with the other club members. I know it can do highway speed. Of course I might look a little silly, big. older guy on a beginner's bike. Frankly, I don't care what others might think. I just want to be safe out there. I know the dealer is going to push me to the shadow. claiming it is a good first bike. What do you all think?

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
My question is whether the Shadow is a good "first bike?"
For a guy your size and age, yes, definitely.

Now......if the group you intend to ride with likes to exceed the posted highway limit by more than 5 MPH, the Shadow might strain to keep up.
It will do it, just will probably be a bit buzzy.

And......I strongly suggest that you limit your group rides to 3 to 5 bikes TOTAL for your first 3 months or so and NO group rides for the first month.
One other rider is OK......and preferred actually.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Well what do you know I agree totally with Easy Rider. John, you have some learnin' to do. Group rides require you to keep a tight position and you'll need experience to hold the line.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It is a good first bike. I'm 5'6" and 155lbs and started with a suzuki m50 which is only slightly larger, and had no trouble maintaining hwy speeds. Just make sure you feel comfortable with the weight of the bike, because a bike that feels too heavy for you will be awkward to handle at low speed, like doing u-turns or maneuvering through a parking lot. You need to have the confidence to deal with the bike at low speeds as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts