Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife purchased a new Sportster 883 Iron last month. She loves the flat black look, so she had the stock chrome exhaust removed and replaced with black Screaming Eagle pipes. The problem is, the heat shields on the SE pipes aren't effective as the stock ones, and now she's setting her jeans on fire when she rides. OK, it's more like smoldering a hole in her jeans by her boot. So I'm thinking that we might need some of that exhaust wrap around her header pipes. Anyone have the same problem, or have any ideas? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
The problem is, the heat shields on the SE pipes aren't effective as the stock ones,
What does "not as effective" mean ? Not in the right place or not present at all ?

I think exhaust wrap is just a pain in the ass.......and you should consider shopping for some additional/longer shields.......if that is an option.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Not as effective" means the smoldering jeans weren't happening with the stock (chrome) exhaust. I think it's the header pipe, which doesn't have any heat shield on it at all, that's the culprit. Not sure if SE even has a heat shield for this area. It just seems to me that your pants shouldn't catch on fire when your feet are on the pegs where they're supposed to be...:)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That Buckshot kit looks cool, I'm betting she'll like that. Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will pass that along to her. However, I'm pretty sure she will not be as amused by it as I was!?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts