Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Picked up my '07 M50 yesterday, in no small part due to all the wonderful things you all have to say about them! Very exciting to now be an owner after having spent a fair while researching what might suit my needs!

When I picked it up, I noticed it had what appeared to be a lamba (oxygen) sensor in the top exhaust (std pipes). Is this a std feature? I was initially looking at the '09 models so I could get the newer power commander which accepts input from the 'autotune' sensor as this seemed the best way to manage management of the injection system; since I have plans for the bike which are likely to include a hyper charger and cobra slashdowns.

Any feedback about how this sensor fits into the system and whether it'll 'autotune' the bike with aftermarket accessories would be welcomed!!

Many thanks!

Warren x

·
Registered
821 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice link! Cheers for that, certainly food for thought! Ah the joys of moving into a totally new subject and facing that tsunami of fresh information rushing towards you... LOL

I feel as giddy as a young girl at a prom being asked to dance for the first time... :party5:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Nice link! Cheers for that, certainly food for thought! Ah the joys of moving into a totally new subject and facing that tsunami of fresh information rushing towards you... LOL

I feel as giddy as a young girl at a prom being asked to dance for the first time... :party5:
And soon you will be as broke as a young man after his first girlfriend. :lol4: Just ask everyone here. There is always something to upgrade and spend all your money on.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Gday Meta,

Only the Aussie and Europe bikes had the sensor in the exhaust, i found this out nearly 5 years ago when i bought my M50 locally and then a set of Jardine pipes from the USA. No sensor hole in the pipe...i was unsure what to do about the sensor and searched forums here,,,in the end i drilled a hole and fitted the sensor,,,easy.. :)

Toolboy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gday Meta,

Only the Aussie and Europe bikes had the sensor in the exhaust, i found this out nearly 5 years ago when i bought my M50 locally and then a set of Jardine pipes from the USA. No sensor hole in the pipe...i was unsure what to do about the sensor and searched forums here,,,in the end i drilled a hole and fitted the sensor,,,easy.. :)

Toolboy
Have you done any intake mods to your bike? It's my understanding that you don't need to go the power commander route if you're just replacing the pipes, but do need to for any intake mods. I'm curious to find out if 'our' sensor dynamically adjusts the stock FI system in such a way that I wouldn't need to go the PCIII (or PCV) route. I'd be gutted to drop a significant chunk of change (that I could spend on something else...) on a PC unit only to later find out that I'd wasted my money! Being a mature student on a pittance of a student allowance, I'm keen to get as much value for money as possible!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Gday Meta,

Yeah i have pipes and aircleaner mod with fuel proccessor.

I changed my pipes first, test rode the bike and you could notice the improvement.
Then when i added the Thunder MFG air cleaner the motor had a horrible flat spot on acceleration, then i fitted the fuel processor, and after a few minor adjustments and my M had snappy throttle response and better top end.

When i was fitting my pipes a few guys were leaving the O2 sensor off and putting it under the tank somewhere but this would give an error signal on your speedo, there was a mod where you could disconnect the sensor but i decided to fit mine to pipes.

Toolboy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed my pipes first, test rode the bike and you could notice the improvement.
Then when i added the Thunder MFG air cleaner the motor had a horrible flat spot on acceleration, then i fitted the fuel processor, and after a few minor adjustments and my M had snappy throttle response and better top end.

When i was fitting my pipes a few guys were leaving the O2 sensor off and putting it under the tank somewhere but this would give an error signal on your speedo, there was a mod where you could disconnect the sensor but i decided to fit mine to pipes.
Toolboy
Clean bike bro! And some interesting feedback, and if I understand you properly, I think you've answered my question.

If you had the sensor fitted to your pipes before changing the intake and installing the power commander, which is what it seems you're saying, then by changing your intake the system did not accurately autotune via the sensor in the pipe, so it still required the PC to be fitted.

I noticed on the PC website that they provide a map for the 'European bikes' on a stock setup but with the sensor disabled. I'm keen to get a better understanding of how this sensor interacts with the stock 'European' FI system that is different to our (let's call it) 'North American' FI colleague's bikes. But more than that, how the sensor's role is affected by the addition of a PC unit, e.g. does it simply discard it, or can it still make use of its input.

The thread here about using the PCV unit on earlier bikes is of great interest to me, since it appears they can literally autotune the bike on the fly as the conditions require! Paying a quoted $500 (NZD) at a local Harley dealer to dyno my bike to create a single map for my bike (which would be static and for example not simulating the effect of wind speed into the hyper charger I'm looking at) seems like taking a single snapshot of how the environment was at the time of the dyno run, which is a poor second cousin to a truly responsive system that tuned the bike as the current situations required!

I hope you all understand what I mean, and what I'm trying to get at, perhaps you might have enough insight into FI systems and be able to tell me whether I'm getting a bit too carried away and I wouldn't really notice any difference in practical terms of a single static dyno'd map for my bike and an autotuning bike....

P.S. Toolboy - I'm also a fan of what I call 'belly pans' but you people here seem to call chin straps, yours is a little 'bolder' than I'm going to be aim towards, but I'm feeling the love for it all the same :bluethum:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just remember since you quoted the price of a dyno run... The pcV auto tune is an accessory to the pcV and must be purchased separately it doesn't come with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just remember since you quoted the price of a dyno run... The pcV auto tune is an accessory to the pcV and must be purchased separately it doesn't come with it.
Yep, I know (thanks for checking though!), but the autotune sensor probably still comes out cheaper than a single dyno run...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Gday Meta,

Yes the M ECU will not autotune...with pipes fitted the engine did run better but not sweet...once i added the air cleaner i had to have a PC to deal with the extra changes in air/exhaust flow. I dont have a PC,,too $$$$$$ for me at the time so i purchased a Techlusion TFI unit which you can manually adjust the settings.

The chin spoiler came from a 2001 Maruader.....i like the way it fills the space between the Rad and the front wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts