Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

My name is Damon, I am getting back into motorcycling after a few years away (It was rough to be away). My primary ride (right now) is a ninja 650 but I have owned both smaller and bigger bikes in the past. I am looking forward to taking a few long trips this year across the country, I did that back in the day and really miss the open road.

I am from the Midwest and joined the forum to interact with other riders and share experiences.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
Welcome.
The sport style riding position of the Ninja probably isn't good for long road trips.
Are you thinking about something a bit more "road friendly" ?
Something in the 900-1100 range maybe that you don't "lay down" on to ride ??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome.
The sport style riding position of the Ninja probably isn't good for long road trips.
Are you thinking about something a bit more "road friendly" ?
Something in the 900-1100 range maybe that you don't "lay down" on to ride ??
Thank you! The 650 actually has a much more upright seating and handlebar position than supersport bikes. It's very comfortable. The only real downside of of it from a touring perspective IMO is no room for luggage. Eventually, I'll get adventure bike for real touring, but have to start somewhere!

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
Thank you! The 650 actually has a much more upright seating and handlebar position than supersport bikes. It's very comfortable.
I didn't say it was a "supersport" design.
But I think it is NOT possible to ride it in normal use without leaning forward a bit and putting some pressure on your arms and wrists........unless maybe you have very LONG arms.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't say it was a "supersport" design.
But I think it is NOT possible to ride it in normal use without leaning forward a bit and putting some pressure on your arms and wrists........unless maybe you have very LONG arms.
You're probably right. I am taller than the average rider, but we'll see how it performs on a longer trip. I'll have to make a thread after I do a long rider letting everyone know how it works under such conditions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a little bit of forward lean on the 650R. But if it turns out to be a problem it can be easily fixed with a set of bar risers.
I haven't yet taken this bike long distance. I'll have to try it on a shorter trip first to test it and see if it is a problem. Good suggestion on the bar risers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts