Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Welcome.

I edited this post to remove the seat question.......since you asked that in another sub-forum.

Putting the same question in more than one place just makes following the discussion difficult.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to this website and to motorcycles! Can you clean the carbs without taking them apart? Can you use seafoam, or other cleaners to rid of gunk or clog? I was looking at purchasing a 1982 Suzuki GS 650l, very clean. But it only starts when using starting fluid.

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
New to this website and to motorcycles! Can you clean the carbs without taking them apart? Can you use seafoam, or other cleaners to rid of gunk or clog? I was looking at purchasing a 1982 Suzuki GS 650l, very clean. But it only starts when using starting fluid.
In general, yes. But with a bike that old and that severe a fuel problem.......probably not.

The entire system might be plugged with something resembling concrete.....or rust.

IF......you can put fresh fuel in it and get fuel to run out the carb drains when they are opened, then you MIGHT have a slight chance with Berrymans B12 or Gumout.
Seafoam is ***NOT*** a good heavy duty cleaner.

This will be a large gamble and probably not worth more than a couple of hundred dollars in it's non-running condition.

P.S. It would have been better for you to start your OWN thread to discuss this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you do have ethanol gum in your float bowl or fuel lines it will most likely end up loosening up sediment and sending it into your jets causing clogs rather than help anything.

You can clean the outside of your carbs without taking them apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts