Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Community,
Just got my first bike! Already loving it. I have about 4 actual road hours now and I can not get enough. Little bit about myself, I started with the California training course to get the basics. I have owned manual cars before so i feel some idea of muscle memory when riding. I picked up my first bike about a week ago; a Suzuki Boulevard C50. not sure when the oil was last changed so started with that and picked up a K&N "performance" air filter from Autozone. I should mention I do work at Autozone so if you have any questions regarding what we offer for bikes feel free to ask. i am hoping to talk with people about entry level maintenance and learn more about bikes and riding in general. If you have any tips or wish to just say hello i am here.
Humbly,
Dimmadaledome

·
Registered
7,057 Posts
Just be aware that fitting any different air filter or exhaust will affect the fueling....maybe to the extent the bike no longer runs properly...otherwise have fun and ride carefully and remember.... think all other road usesr are idiots and wont see you.

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
A "performance" air filter lets in more air........and more dirt.
The extra air might upset the fuel mixture and the extra dirt will.......well you get the idea I hope.
NOT a good idea overall.

·
Registered
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just be aware that fitting any different air filter or exhaust will affect the fueling....maybe to the extent the bike no longer runs properly...otherwise have fun and ride carefully and remember.... think all other road usesr are idiots and wont see you.
The extra air might upset the fuel mixture and the extra dirt will.......well you get the idea I hope.
NOT a good idea overall.
NOT a good idea overall.
Thanks for the feedback. The new filter is supposed to be the stock replacement with a smal increase in air flow, nothing aggressive. I am glad you brought up the risks which is one of the reasons i kept the stock filter which is not in bad condition at all. lastly, the K&N filter claims it is oiled to protect from any dirt getting through. Still, i will keep might ears open to sounds or feelings of mechanical failure
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
the K&N filter claims it is oiled to protect from any dirt getting through.
Just a weak, mostly false marketing claim.
Unless you ride in a REALLY dirty environment, any damage from the poor filtering only occurs over years and thousands of miles.
Point IS that there is no good reason to change from the stock air filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts