Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya`ll,
I cant seem to find it ANYWHERE as to what the MPG is on the v-star 1300.. I know its how ya ride etc etc but whats a round about average for just basic cruzin? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!:)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Ok then I supose I`ll let ya`ll know....YIKES Im not good with numbers
hehehe
Fill tank to a certain point.
Ride till nearly empty.
Jot down miles travelled.
Fill to point again.
Jot down amount of gas refilled with.
Divide miles travelled with gallons of gas refilled with.
It's not too hard. :)

For more accurate measurements, use tenths of miles and hundredths of gallons of gas.....(229.2 miles, and 5.03 gallons of gas, for example).

·
Registered
29 Posts
V, go to 1300riders forum in the Delphi forums- very informative group with wide variety of riding experience and past bikes etc. -ride safe and like you just stole it! Steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
my roadstar gets about 40 on the highway, and my old vulcan 900 got about 48 and was fuel injected. just using those numbers, i'd bet the 1300 will get 42-45 mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Millage

I bought my 1300 a week ago (May 4). I've ridden 620 miles so far and the millage doesn't look too good so far. The first four tanks I was only getting about 30-34 mpg. The last fill up I averaged about 41. The low millage might be due to the break-in and adjusting to the larger motor. The fuel economy might not be great, but the bike is definitely an upgrade from my 650 custom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fill tank to a certain point.
Ride till nearly empty.
Jot down miles travelled.
Fill to point again.
Jot down amount of gas refilled with.
Divide miles travelled with gallons of gas refilled with.
It's not too hard. :)

For more accurate measurements, use tenths of miles and hundredths of gallons of gas.....(229.2 miles, and 5.03 gallons of gas, for example).
The 1300 has 2 trip meters and there is another feature that counts your miles traveled since the gas light comes on. The light comes on after about 3.2 gallons have been used on mine. Not sure if they're all lighting up at 3.2, but any information would be helpful since this is a first year model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New V-Star Mileage Impressive

I recently sold a C90 Boulevard and got around 45 mpg on the highway with it. I picked up my new V-Star 1300 Tourer and drove the 168 miles home (to work). I hit reserve at the 167 mile point. The fill took 3.4 gal. I had used mid-grade. Mileage was a nice 49.4 mpg. :p

Hope this helps,

Dennis

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I bought my 1300 a week ago (May 4). I've ridden 620 miles so far and the millage doesn't look too good so far. The first four tanks I was only getting about 30-34 mpg. The last fill up I averaged about 41. The low millage might be due to the break-in and adjusting to the larger motor. The fuel economy might not be great, but the bike is definitely an upgrade from my 650 custom.

That's not bad considering you haven't broken her in yet.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hey Rumbly,
how do you like the V Star compared to the C90 ? I was at one time wanting a V-Star 1300 but now I am leaning toward a C90 because of the maintenance on the V Star. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2nd tank and different conditions

Last report, I got 49.4 mpg using mid-grade on a brand new bike on the highway. The second tank was with commuting to work and some recreational riding when I added 230 (give or take) pounds of flesh in the form of my son. On that tank, I got 40 mpg. Still loving it.

As for the question from Rich, Rich, I like the handling of the V-Star better. Don't get me wrong, I really did love my C90 and it handled fine for a big twin, but it is a big twin. The difference in weight and the way Yamaha engineered the riding position of the V-Star 1300 makes it more fun to drive and quite manuverable. I can even see the guages on my 1300 wearing my full face helmet without completely tilting my head down. I will say, that when my son threw his leg over the C90 on back, it was much less noticable, but the Yamaha perfoms fine with the two of us on it - at least so far in my experience. I'm still looking to see how she does on a highway trip with the two of us. I'll find out later this month. Hope this helps. What are your maintenance concerns with the 1300? My C90 was towed once at the 1.2 year point with a bad stator - $400 bucks later, she was fine. They are machines, you know.

Hope this helps,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hi Rumbley,
when I say maintenance I am meaning routine stuff like Valve adjustments and coolant changes etc, I'm sure they are both reliable bikes like all Japanese machines, just the C90 has less up keep to be done on a regular basis. I can change the oil and drive shaft fluid myself but that is about the limit of my mechanical abilities !
I have read quite a bit about the V-Star and have sat on it. It feels fantastic, the balance is excellent and even standing still you can just tell its going to handle great for a cruiser and it looks good too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The dealer is shooting straight with you on the maintenance. I have a '06 1700 RoadStar with 6450 miles on it. Have had it in for the scheduled maints. All that has been needed is oil and the the original newbie re-torque.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts