Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mileage Depends - but is good

I owed a response on how the V-Star 1300 Tourer did on a trip with my son riding on back. We together weigh in at around 430 or so and with the bags and other tourer accessories we're approaching max gross weight. That said, I've gotten varying mileage out of the V-Star based on the type of driving I've been doing. Going to Indiana to visit folks, we got around 40 one way (we got caught in bad traffic in Cincinnatti going) and about 43 the other way. This was at speeds between 70 and 75 (Shhhh -- speed limit in Ohio is 65). A couple of weeks later, my son and I did a ride in the by-ways of south western Ohio and got 47 - this was running between 45 and 60 most of the time. On the return trip I believe we got around 42 or 43 but we were on highway most of the way running between 65 and 70. This past week, with mostly just me on the bike and doing a mix of driving, I got 44. Therefore, my assessment of mileage on my V-Star 1300 Tourer in my somewhat unscientific method is that she'll get somewhere between 40 and 49, depending on how I'm driving and how much weight she's carrying. I'm happy with that :D.

Ride safe,

Dennis

P.S. If gas keeps going up, I might try to see what she'll do at 40 mph consistently - this is nuts!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds really good...I'm with ya on the gas, it's siphoning my pocketbook... I'm gettin' around 35 on my Roadstar 1700,,I know I can do better but it's mostly city driving...have heard you can tune the stars to do much much better

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well i'm new at this. I bought my 1300 last year over memorial weekend.I really love the bike. I ride it every day to work and have a couple of 250 mile week ends. I average 42 with most of my riding. It does better on long trips in 5th gear. I heard a comment about coolant. I live in Redding, Ca. and the 110-115 or higher temps, make the liquid cool a good thing. I am havinga so much fun spending money to make it just mine. I put a trunk on from Matuzu. It came with a wrap around back rest. I added custom seats from Rick Meyer. Check out his web site. People come all over to have custom made seats, while you wait. And he lives right here in the Redding area. New grips, passing lamps and now am ready for a fairing. Corbin makes them as well as Rifle and a new one I will probably get is from Hoppe Industries. Some of my friends have said, justa get the Venture or a gold wing. Well this bike fits me well. I'm just 5-9. Thanks for listening. Oh one more thing, I also fly and just got back from Driggs, Id. I never saw so many motorcycles. Its right near Yellowstone. What a bikers vacation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got my V Star 1300 a month ago, it gets 35-40 mpg around town, 46ish on the highway (over 75 mph), 50 mpg on the highway (under 75 mph) & I've personally gone 30 miles with the gas light on bc there were no gas stations on the road I was riding lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
newvstar mileage

I have a 2008 with 2000 miles on it. Started at 46=49 mpg. Put cobra 2 into one and an fi2000 fuel monitor on it. Was getting around 42 until i dinked with settings and went down to 31(that could have been a miscalculation) and just yesterday with fi2000 set back to default got 39mog

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a Vstar 250 for my first bike and it had a published 78 mpg. So the first tank full I got 32 mpg. I was so depressed about that. The next tank full got 43 mpg. The next one after that got 52. And it just kept climbing and climbing until when the bike reached 1000 miles it was consistently getting 83 mpg. The secret was in the breakin but also how quickly can you get to top gear whilst you slowly accelerate toward the speed limit.

Funny thing is with my new 1300 Vstar Classic tourer, my first tank I got 32 mpg....
And this thing went up to 48 much slower as I'm past my 600 miles breakin. They have that 600 mile breakin thing down to a science.

Perhaps I will see 50+ mpg out of the bike as others have too. The published mpg on this vehicle is 44 mpg per Yamaha and I find their published figures are conservative (lower than reality).

So I loose about 30 mpg but I gain a ride which can achieve low earth orbit in about 20 seconds. I mean it rides so much smoother, has a headlight which is brighter than anything I've ever had (car or otherwise), and brakes which are awesome.

And let's not forget about the first gear (CLUNK) thing.

Yet, the on board computer and fuel injection system, radiator cooling of this model, make me feel like I'm riding a very high tech ride. There's alot of stuff going on downstairs while your rolling.

I finally tested out my fuel warning light and odo this last trip. It went off and 4 miles later I was at a Gulf gas station. So I fueled it, noted my this time 45 mpg. Then fired it back up and noticed the light and odo still on. Stopped the bike. Got the owners manual out and started reading. After searching through several pages on the subject,
found out the answer is just drive it for 5 miles and it would turn everything off automatically. You don't manually reset that fuel warning system. Other than your 2 trip meters, you really don't reset anything on this bike. It's all automatic.
Even my on board clock has proven to be accurate. In 2 months time it still reads the correct time. This is contrary to other owners reports from 07 models. I have an 08.
So, there is a sense from this and other things that inside the V star electronics and other components there is an internal upgrade process going on from year to year with the components improving quality as the model ages.

I need to get a good book on maintenance for the 1300 so I can do my own adjustments to the valves and what not. Especially that what not..

Charlie

·
Registered
37 Posts
During breakin, I was getting in the 40's.
After breaking, I got as high as 51.5 mpg.

This last week, I took a trip of 540 miles during winter weather.
I wore thick clothes and had the bikes bags loaded with stuff, I used the cheapest gas
and drove the bike as hard as I could with rapid accelerations, 2 up, and there was some winter wind in my face, about 40 mph wind and I have the 1300 tourer.
I got 36 mpg that weekend overall. And that was as hard as I could push the bike.
So, if you drive the 1300 vstar like a sports bike, you will still get better mpg than just about all the so called flex cars of the day. My mom's honda accord get's 36 but she
doesn't do things like accelerate to 70 in 2nd gear. I'm glad they have that 135mph cutoff in the computer. I never got past 90 on the bike this weekend but the 1/4 mile
acceleration stuff I did was just frigging awesome. I wonder if it may have been my cheap gas which caused my mileage to get that low or the excess weight or that 35 degree air I was driving thru, or could it have been the 40 mph headwind I was fighting both directions home and back?????
I remember somebody in here telling giving a 36 mpg figure for his vstar1300 but he was out in Colorado and he only drove it in high altitudes in the mountains.
I will have to try a comparison betwen the mpg using cheap gas and premium and see just what the difference really is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought my Royal Star Tour Classic 1996 a couple of months ago. I have been averaging 33mpg, I thought that was low but did not know what to do about it. The bike runs great but if anyone knows what adjustments I can do I would appriciate the sugestions:welcomes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Vstart 1300 Tourer fuel warning light

The 1300 has 2 trip meters and there is another feature that counts your miles traveled since the gas light comes on. The light comes on after about 3.2 gallons have been used on mine. Not sure if they're all lighting up at 3.2, but any information would be helpful since this is a first year model.
Mine comes on at exactly 3.7 gallons of used fuel.

Charlie

·
Registered
1 Posts
I sure could use some help.

Well i'm new at this. I bought my 1300 last year over memorial weekend.I really love the bike. I ride it every day to work and have a couple of 250 mile week ends. I average 42 with most of my riding. It does better on long trips in 5th gear. I heard a comment about coolant. I live in Redding, Ca. and the 110-115 or higher temps, make the liquid cool a good thing. I am havinga so much fun spending money to make it just mine. I put a trunk on from Matuzu. It came with a wrap around back rest. I added custom seats from Rick Meyer. Check out his web site. People come all over to have custom made seats, while you wait. And he lives right here in the Redding area. New grips, passing lamps and now am ready for a fairing. Corbin makes them as well as Rifle and a new one I will probably get is from Hoppe Industries. Some of my friends have said, justa get the Venture or a gold wing. Well this bike fits me well. I'm just 5-9. Thanks for listening. Oh one more thing, I also fly and just got back from Driggs, Id. I never saw so many motorcycles. Its right near Yellowstone. What a bikers vacation.
I saw where you said you put a trunk on your V-star 1300 and you purchased it from Matuzu. Do you remember the wedsite? I also saw where you stated you where going to to a fairing from Hoppe Industries. Do they make a fairing to fit the V-Star 1300? I have a 2007 V-Star 1300. I sure would appreciate any help you could send my way.
Thanks
cherokeegary

·
Registered
1 Posts
During breakin, I was getting in the 40's.
After breaking, I got as high as 51.5 mpg.

This last week, I took a trip of 540 miles during winter weather.
I wore thick clothes and had the bikes bags loaded with stuff, I used the cheapest gas
and drove the bike as hard as I could with rapid accelerations, 2 up, and there was some winter wind in my face, about 40 mph wind and I have the 1300 tourer.
I got 36 mpg that weekend overall. And that was as hard as I could push the bike.
So, if you drive the 1300 vstar like a sports bike, you will still get better mpg than just about all the so called flex cars of the day. My mom's honda accord get's 36 but she
doesn't do things like accelerate to 70 in 2nd gear. I'm glad they have that 135mph cutoff in the computer. I never got past 90 on the bike this weekend but the 1/4 mile
acceleration stuff I did was just frigging awesome. I wonder if it may have been my cheap gas which caused my mileage to get that low or the excess weight or that 35 degree air I was driving thru, or could it have been the 40 mph headwind I was fighting both directions home and back?????
I remember somebody in here telling giving a 36 mpg figure for his vstar1300 but he was out in Colorado and he only drove it in high altitudes in the mountains.
I will have to try a comparison betwen the mpg using cheap gas and premium and see just what the difference really is.
do you ride with the wind visor on the bike?

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I hope your post will generate some renewed interest in the subject but........don't be surprised if it doesn't.
The thread is 13 YEARS old.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts