Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Suzuki GS450L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I’m Ashley, from East Texas area. I’ve never driven a MC, but I slept on the back of one to Sturgis... that has to qualify for something, right? Anyway, I’ve always wanted to learn to ride, so here I am. My other half had a 1981 Suzuki GS450L that he dropped about 3k into 8 years ago. A year later, it was running less than satisfactory so he parked it in the shed. I came across it a few months ago, and was told to sell it if I wanted to, as is, and put the money toward a street ready bike. I pulled it out a couple weeks ago and gave it a much needed bath, and was shocked to how clean it is. It’s beautiful! And 10k miles? No way I’m selling it if I can fix it fairly easy.... So, here I am, slowly learning and troubleshooting as I go, which is what brought me here. I will post my progress and any questions/concerns I may have in the discussions, please give me guidance and encouragement, and refrain from negativity and ridicule. We all must start somewhere. :) Thanks!

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Good luck Ashley...I would change the oil and filter as a first step and then check all the rubber parts such as tyres, fuel lines and brake lines for signs of deteriorration. Battery will probably need replacing but you never know it may work also I would be tempted to drain the fuel...small bolts on the base of the carbs...undo and set the fuel tap to prime if its a vacuum one or just run if it isnt. Something to catch the old fuel in from each carb ata time and then fresh fuel in with a bit of carb cleaner in.

·
Registered
1981 Suzuki GS450L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck Ashley...I would change the oil and filter as a first step and then check all the rubber parts such as tyres, fuel lines and brake lines for signs of deteriorration. Battery will probably need replacing but you never know it may work also I would be tempted to drain the fuel...small bolts on the base of the carbs...undo and set the fuel tap to prime if its a vacuum one or just run if it isnt. Something to catch the old fuel in from each carb ata time and then fresh fuel in with a bit of carb cleaner in.
Thanks, Steve! Tires and rings gaskets are good. So far, I’ve drained/changed all fluids, replaced carb floats and cleaned carbs well, changed spark plugs, replaced battery, and it turns over but won’t start. Found that one coil was weak and other wasn’t firing al all. Hubs said it never did over 70mph when he was riding it, would it make sense that maybe only one piston was firing? I ordered coils to replace both, but didn’t have time to change them this evening. I will do cartwheels if she cranks tomorrow after new coils, but am prepared to further troubleshoot. I’m enjoying the learning aspect as well as anticipate the day I ride her for the first time. Any suggestions of what to further look for or basic tuneup tips i should try? Appreciate your input and advice!

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
Thanks, Steve! Tires and rings gaskets are good.

I will do cartwheels if she cranks tomorrow after new coils,
Just two comments:

IF.....the tires are 8 years old or more......they are NOT good, regardless of what they may look like.
That might apply to any other exposed rubber parts too, like rubber brake lines and vacuum hoses but those aren't as critical.

And as an aid to efficient communication, an engine "cranks" when the starter runs making the engine parts move.
It "fires" when it actually begins to run.
Yours cranks now, it just won't fire off and run.

Make that 3 comments:
Since it is almost impossible to completely clean all of the tiny passages in a carb by hand, when you do get it running, I would suggest a recommended dose of a good carb cleaner in the first couple of tanks of gas.
Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout probably are the best; SeaFoam is NOT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts