Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
So I bought a 2001 V Star 1100 classic in November. It was in great condition with under 14000 miles when I purchased it. I took it to the shop around Christmas time to have a simple oil change. I took it home and the next week I went to ride it to work and it made a weird noise and then lost power and shut off on me. Now it will barely start but it will not stay running even with the choke on it does not idle or stay alive. I changed the plugs and put fuel system cleaner in it thinking that would help but it still does not idle or run. The spark plugs helped a little but not enough. So I took it back to the shop to see if they could tell me what was wrong they said that the rear cylinder has no compression at all. Does anyone have any idea what might cause this or even how to fix it? This is my first motorcycle and my daily ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
12,351 Posts
they said that the rear cylinder has no compression at all. Does anyone have any idea what might cause this or even how to fix it?
Two things come to mind:
A valve problem, like a broken valve spring or a badly warped valve.
A blown head gasket.
Actually one other: some of the bikes of that vintage had a "compression release" to help starting.
If that valve is stuck open it would cause loss of compression and might be a fairly easy fix.

Regardless, it probably would cost more than the value of the bike to have a shop fix it.
While the shop had it, did you ask THEM for an opinion ?
If not, why not ??

P.S. Please put your posts in only ONE sub-forum on here.
It really gains nothing by shotgunning them around and tends to confuse things sometimes.
I will be deleting the other copy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts