Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a bit of a problem with my new S40.

I shift all the way down, say, at a stop light. Instead of hitting first, the green neutral light comes on, and it won't let me shift out of neutral.

I'll sit there stomping on the damn thing, trying to get it out of neutral and into first. Eventually I'll give it a kick back up into 2nd, and that won't work quite right either.

Somehow - I haven't quite figured out what the voodoo is that gets it to work properly - I've managed to get it back into gear each time. It's a little nerve wracking, though. Traffic all around and I'm stuck in neutral.

Any ideas why it's doing that... and more to the point, how to get it to stop?

·
Registered
7 Posts
are you trying to shift into first while you're still moving? if not then try that. I went throught the same thing when I started riding (stopping before I tried to shift down) so I can feel your pain. it makes you feel like an a$$ with everyone watching.

·
Registered
849 Posts
It happens to me too, and I think it applies to all bikes. Just roll forward a bit and engage 1st while ur pushing along with ur feet, always works for me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Pushing the bike forward a few inches and then retrying to go for first should do the trick. Also, sometimes just engaging and disengaging the clutch a time or two will allow it to go into first. I think all of these bikes do this...it is nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
These are good tips. Most new bikes have trannies that stick a bit. Let it break in, then switch to Mobil 1. She'll shift like butter.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to start by saying thanks for the advice. It's exactly the correct advice for the situation. How am I so sure of that?

... I rode 50 miles tonight and figured it out on my own. I just got back. :D

Tonight it wasn't just getting stuck in neutral, but 2nd and 3rd. Then it occurred to me that I can't change my bicycle gears when I'm not pedaling and maybe this is similar.

So I tried easing up on the clutch a little and rolling on the throttle - just enough to give it a feather's touch forward.

It worked. Shifts into first no problem now.

The easiest solution? Get into first before I stop. But it's nice to know how to get it to downshift if I'm already stopped.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You don't even have to roll forward....just ease your clutch out some and then shift down. Sometimes my Marauder does the same thing, along with some sportbikes I've had and this works every time for me.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Do any of you have a specific pair of boots that you have trouble shifting with when you wear them????

bought a pair of redwing that lace to the toe and have a hell of a time with shifting...only with this pair of boots.....seems as the heel is too long and makes contact with the floorboard prior to contact with shift lever....most problem in downshifting......will shift into neutral and stop ...especially going from 3rd to second and on to first..... :roll: :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Boots

Your not the only one. I too have problems shifting with boots on. My problem is I can't feel where my foot needs to be with boots on. When I'm wearing tennis shoes, no problem.

Try to avoid boots with the steel toe. :)

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Yes, you figured it out: shift to first BEFORE you stop. You should ALWAYS do this anyway, as if the light turns green before you come to a complete stop you need to be in the right gear. Also, I NEVER put my bike in neutral at a stop sign or light. See my recent post about nearly getting rear ended.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Happens to me, but mostly when I need to brake more quickly than usual. Happened every bloody time on my Experienced Rider Course in emergency braking. We need to brake, took back to see if the potential cager behind us would also brake so we can get away if required, however when stuck in neutral you ain't going far...

·
Registered
776 Posts
m50r1d3r said:
Your not the only one. I too have problems shifting with boots on. My problem is I can't feel where my foot needs to be with boots on. When I'm wearing tennis shoes, no problem.

Try to avoid boots with the steel toe. :)
I have the same problem when I'm wearing my boots, for those wise guru's out there how to adjust the shifter on the m50. As my foot get's stuck some times in the shifter.

This might be a new topic...........

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've noticed a bit of a problem with my new S40.

I shift all the way down, say, at a stop light. Instead of hitting first, the green neutral light comes on, and it won't let me shift out of neutral.

I'll sit there stomping on the damn thing, trying to get it out of neutral and into first. Eventually I'll give it a kick back up into 2nd, and that won't work quite right either.

Somehow - I haven't quite figured out what the voodoo is that gets it to work properly - I've managed to get it back into gear each time. It's a little nerve wracking, though. Traffic all around and I'm stuck in neutral.

Any ideas why it's doing that... and more to the point, how to get it to stop?
Hi Guys: I have had the same problem with my S40 - no worries - easy fix - once you are sure it is in neutral - let the clutch all the way out and then press all the way in and you will be able to down shift to first gear every time - Rodger K.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
Even though this thread is 15 YEARS old.......

This can also be a symptom of a dragging clutch.

With a cable operated clutch, it can be caused by too much slack in the cable or by different grips that don't allow for a full "throw" with the lever.

With a hydraulic clutch, it can be a sign of a failing master or slave cylinder or low fluid or air in the line.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts