Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a 81 gs450 that has only 8600 miles on it was was running when it was parked back in 1986. I got it out of storage and put new oil, spark plugs, cleaned carb and airfilter.

When i turn the key the dash lights up but there is now horn or starter. We put starter fluid into each cylinder and then pushed it down the hill, NOTHING HAPPENED! We tried this several times.

WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM!

THANKS!

MICHAEL

·
Registered
167 Posts
So, let me get this right. You push started it and nothing happens, you push the starter button and nothing happens? 1st... You are pulling the clutch in when you hit the button, right? Also, the clutch switch sometimes gives a bad connection. It wouldnt be a bad idea to clean that up.

Im kinda confused as to how you concluded that it doesnt have spark when you cant get it to crank. Unless you were checking for spark and getting it in gear and popping the clutch while trying to push start. Phew!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clearification.

You are correct about the first part.

Where is the clutch switch?

I guessed when i said i didn't have any spark because i know there is fuel getting into the cylinder, i even put starter fluid in and nothing happened. I tried this for a while yet nothing happened.

HELP!!

michael

:lol:

·
Registered
167 Posts
The clutch switch is under the clutch lever. It makes contact with two copper strips. If these are corroded it wont let the starter engage. Careful tho....there is a tiny spring and another copper "U" shaped strip in there, dont lose them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts