Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Northern California Ride

Last Thursday, June 6, I began a 1,376-mile trip to visit family in Northern California. This was my longest ride so far. I left with only a couple of days planning. I am fortunate to have a friend, Dave, who is a well-experienced biker and former Harley Davidson mechanic. Dave gave my bike – ’86 Kawasaki 454 LTD, some attention, ie. Lubed the cables, adjusted the rear shocks and a few other things I probably did not notice. After giving her a clean bill of health he loaded my his T-Bag. I rode away comfortable my bike was ready for the trip.

I left Olympia, WA at 1200 pm Thursday and rode 9 hours to Medford, Or., where I spent the night. When I stopped I was exhausted. Just north of Salem an older lady did not see me as she merged onto I 5 and almost clipped my front tire. The weather was nice and the ride, save for the one incident was uneventful. I wanted to arrive in Oroville before noon on Friday because the heat was to be in the triple digits that weekend.

Friday began at 6 am. About ten miles outside of California I came across a biker on the side of the road. I stopped to thinking he may need help; he stopped to make a phone call. Rob was riding to Sacramento. We decided to stop at the boarder and take each other's picture. Afterward we parted company and I continued down I 5 to Red Bluff where I jumped over to Hwy 99, rode past Chico then to Hwy 70 the last ten miles to Oroville. I pulled into my brother Mark’s garage at 11:00 am. The rest of Friday was spent resting and avoiding the heat.

Saturday Mark and I took a short ride on our way to breakfast. Mark rides a 2005 Ultra Standard HD and when you put our two bikes next to each other they look a little like big brother little brother. The ride was somewhat disappointing in that I was constantly playing catch up. I am looking forward to other group ride opportunities closer to home. After breakfast I went to visit my dad for a couple of hours. When I left I rode to Lake Oroville to take pictures. I flagged down a nice lady who asked if I was in trouble. “No. Would you be willing to take a picture of me and my bike?” She smiled and pulled over for a couple of snap shots.

I left Sunday morning heading north on I 5 for home. There were many stops along the way. Near Dunsmuir I had a picture taken with Mt. Shasta. In Oregon I met up with the couple who took my picture in Dunsmuir, they were riding to Portland. I visited with an older man riding a Honda Goldwing, he and his friend had been riding the Oregon coast and were on their way to Idaho. Another couple, from Georgia was riding to Whidbey Island, WA to visit friends before cutting back to Georgia. He told me he had asked his wife if she thought there were any other bikes in Oregon from Georgia, she didn’t think so.

From the time I entered Oregon until I made it home it seemed as though I was fighting winds. A number of times they almost blew me into the other lane and my 454 doesn’t have a windshield so I took most of the force.

By the end of my trip I’d ridden 1,375 miles. Since I bought my first bike last August I’ve ridden 5,753 miles.

Ric

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Congrats on a successful first big trip, you seem to "get it" where so many others fail regardless of what they ride.
It's not the destination and having a bike when you get there, (like those who trailer bikes to big events like Sturgis), it's the trip there and back, the scenery, the people you met up with and the solitude of the open road good weather or bad that makes a bike trip a real adventure.
I'll bet you're hooked and looking forward to a bigger bike and bigger trips in the future, good on you for getting out there in the wind with your li'l Kawi and hit'n the open road.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the encouragement. I do want to expand my trips and one I'd like to ride is the PCH. I would like my brother to go also. I believe you replied to one of my post in the past and suggested PNW. I've searched a little but haven't found much as far as people to ride with. Next I'll post there and see if I get any bites.

Perhaps we can ride together sometime.

Ric

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Thank you for the encouragement. I do want to expand my trips and one I'd like to ride is the PCH. I would like my brother to go also. I believe you replied to one of my post in the past and suggested PNW. I've searched a little but haven't found much as far as people to ride with. Next I'll post there and see if I get any bites.

Perhaps we can ride together sometime.

Ric
Gotta love the PCH, I've done it many a time, used to do the redwoods at least once a year before the damn recession and subsequent job loss.
Maybe we can hook up sometime, haven't had much ride time since I started driving truck for a living and then had a new home built, no damn free time lol but if you get the itch to ride and head South post up it's always possible I might get away for a bit.

if your going to ride on 1 pack some warm clothes as well. it gets cold at night on the central coast.
Even in Cali it can be cold on the PCH day or night Summer or not.
We froze our butts off a few years back in August riding 101 & 1 from Wa to SoCal, we finally turned off 1 at Monterey and zipped down 101 to Atascadero and then headed to AZ and triple digit temps on the Mojave desert crossing.
Anytime you plan on a long ride it's good to be prepared for any kind of weather, I've hit triple digit temps and sub freezing in the same trip before, heck even got snowed on in Colorado in August before.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Even in Cali it can be cold on the PCH day or night Summer or not.
We froze our butts off a few years back in August riding 101 & 1 from Wa to SoCal, we finally turned off 1 at Monterey and zipped down 101 to Atascadero and then headed to AZ and triple digit temps on the Mojave desert crossing.
Anytime you plan on a long ride it's good to be prepared for any kind of weather, I've hit triple digit temps and sub freezing in the same trip before, heck even got snowed on in Colorado in August before.
my daily commute is monterey to san jose then back to monterey. every night its cold here. the average temp change in monterey from december to july is 12 degrees. we're perferctly situated in a continous cold air stream off the pacific.

it was 95 in los banos when i left at noon. its 57 in monterey now ( 75 miles) . it'll be 50 tonight 8(.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts