Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2012 950 vstar will start with the sidestand up or down with the clutch in or out so long as its in nuetral if its shifted out of nuetral it dies or wont start. would this be a neutral, clutch or sidestand issue?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Denese9974...my 2012 950 vstar will start with the sidestand up or down with the clutch in or out so long as its in nuetral if its shifted out of nuetral it dies or wont start. would this be
a neutral, clutch or sidestand issue?...

Isn't this the way it is supposed to work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it stalls as soon as I put it into gear with the sidestand up or down with the clutch pulled in. no matter what as soon as it goes into gear it dies

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
Most likely bad sidestand switch but could be the clutch switch too.
Get a meter and test each one.
In the process, you might find that one has a connector loose.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i removed my clutch and sidestand switch and i think what i did was connect the wires together. i think the sidestand switch the wires can be connected or disconnected and it will start. i'd focus on the clutch switch.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
You can jump both by pulling the connector off and jumping, (connecting) the two wires together in the plug...a bent paper clip can be used. Do each switch separately and if it runs on one but not the other then you have found which one is faulty.

The side stand switch would be my guess as it is prone to dirt and crap getting in....it can also fail to close if the little metal tang on the stand is not pushing it fully home. A simple bend will make it push further. Alternatively it may be a weak return spring allowing the stand to move a small amount sufficiently to allow the switch to be in the open position, less likely due to the total stoppage.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts