Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a program or good site I can plan out a route for a ride and then loading it to the Nuvi?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
George:whistle:

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
With a converter app you can route in Google Maps and load that. You'll probably find a thread on it here.

This may get you started. There may be newer, simpler methods. http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

·
Super Moderator
12,237 Posts
Does anyone know of a program or good site I can plan out a route for a ride and then loading it to the Nuvi?
How complex do you figure the route will be ??

I've found it to be fairly easy to get the GPS to route (close to) how I want it to by just setting enough "via" points......and specifying the right options.....like "don't use freeways".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the idea but the 660 only allows like two waypoints that I know of.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
That doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With a converter app you can route in Google Maps and load that. You'll probably find a thread on it here.

This may get you started. There may be newer, simpler methods. GMapToGPX Communications From Elsewhere

You can also find trip stops via Google Maps, then click the Send button/link, then choose GPS, then your Brand & transfer it to your GPS. I've done it for trips on my wife's TomTom. :bluethum:

I don't have a Garmin (...yet - considering getting one); but with TomTom you can go to their web site and plant trips and then download to the GPS - Does Garmin have anything similar?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a Nuvi 660. It is out of date compared to the 765T and never did routes. The 660 provided me with four years of good service and with updated 2010.03 maps, is still providing service in the wife's car.

Software is available from Garmin or off a torrent in the form of MapSource. If you need help finding it, let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, I ended up getting a copy of Waypoint and Trip Manager from Garmin buy I am still unable to get it to do what I want. Can anyone give me a simple run down on how I can plan out a route on the computer and transfer it down to the Nuvi 660?
Thanks you again

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Thanks for the info, I ended up getting a copy of Waypoint and Trip Manager from Garmin buy I am still unable to get it to do what I want. Can anyone give me a simple run down on how I can plan out a route on the computer and transfer it down to the Nuvi 660?
Thanks you again
The Nuvi 660 quote "doesn't support multidestination route creation." Not all Garmins are compatable with creating multi-point routes on the computer and syncing them to the device. The 660 might be more of a point A to B device where you can manually add waypoints.

All the Nuvi's are considered "car" GPS units. I however have a Nuvi 205 on my bike. I can't download multi-point specific routes from the computer either. But I use it for more point to point navigation and use the "go home" feature when out on rides where I'm exploring new roads. I can download point A to point B routes off mapquest however, but that's about it.

If you really want a motorcycle specific, waterproof unit that allows for complex preroute planning on the computer get one of the Zumo models. They start at $600 and go up however.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts