Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did two wheelies on accident today...

Was trying to do 1/8 mile as fast as I could from a dead stop... problem is that I can't keep the front wheel down. Is it because I'm too light for my bike to accelerate that fast w/o doing a wheelie? (SV650)

·
Registered
265 Posts
There's an art to it . Drag the clutch out a little more and lean forward on the tank as far as you can . Having your body weight in the back of the seat will make the wheelie problem worse.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, sure. We've heard THAT story before........:mrgreen:
What? I'm serious... practicing off the line launches in the parking lot...

So just in case some truck decides not to stop in time behind me... I can launch into the middle of traffic in an intesection... :fight1:

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
That happens to me, too. You just have to be less aggressive on launch and try to slip it a little like Warputer was yelling about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What I do (course at 270 lbs its easy for me) is stand on the pegs and lean forward OVER my windshield which is stock not the crappy ass double bubble one ((god does that look ugly IMHO!!!)) with my thighs pressed to the tank. Yes it looks funny as %%%% but damn can I go! Just get as much of your weight over the front as ya can and go!!!! Rpm's and all vary by weight on the front end. a 100lbs guy sitting his ass in the seat could not out accelerate me leaning over the windshield (in my opinion) on a drag strip. I admit I look funny as hell with my ass in the air but it puts weight on the front. Just shift forward and keep that fookin front tire NEAR the ground, and you will live (as long as the wall ain't in your future) and go like hell!! (till 3rd gear that is...aka 1st shift point in a IL4) ride happy and keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up!

·
Registered
258 Posts
What I do (course at 270 lbs its easy for me) is stand on the pegs and lean forward OVER my windshield which is stock not the crappy ass double bubble one ((god does that look ugly IMHO!!!)) with my thighs pressed to the tank. Yes it looks funny as %%%% but damn can I go! Just get as much of your weight over the front as ya can and go!!!! Rpm's and all vary by weight on the front end. a 100lbs guy sitting his ass in the seat could not out accelerate me leaning over the windshield (in my opinion) on a drag strip. I admit I look funny as hell with my ass in the air but it puts weight on the front. Just shift forward and keep that fookin front tire NEAR the ground, and you will live (as long as the wall ain't in your future) and go like hell!! (till 3rd gear that is...aka 1st shift point in a IL4) ride happy and keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up!
:plus1:

·
Tire Eating Moderator
2,563 Posts
The SS/standard twins have this issue with the torque they make. Put your weight as front as possible (as stated above) and you'll probably have to drag your clutch and cool it on the initial launch.

I occasionally pop little wheelies on my TL when I'm out messing around, don't realize I do it until the front tire chirps when it touches back down :O

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wait till you do it in a hard cross wind you will know immediately when the front wheel leaves the pavement.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Can anyone say "Extended Swingarm"? LoL Warputer is right. You should try slipping the clutch a little more and it should help. SV's are torque monsters and are damn near impossible to keep the front tire planted during hard launches.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
New guy in the attic! New guy in the attic!

·
Registered
120 Posts
With good reason too. I gotta admit the only time I get on here is when I'm finished riding or I can't due to weather.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts