Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to bikes

Hey, I just joined looking for advice on what type of bike to buy later this coming summer when I have the money. I've done some research, and I will have the chance to learn on a basic bike when I take lessons for my license before I buy my own. The basic criteria I am looking for is a standard cycle, good for both long distance and short, in-town riding. If anyone has any advice as to what I should look for or what bike I should look at, please let me know.
Sorry for the length, didn't intend for it to be so long when I started typing,
Andrew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Advice

I'm not sure where else to put this type of post, so if I put it in the wrong place, let me know please.

Hi, I'm new to motorcycles and am looking at getting one sometime this coming summer before I go to college. I have been doing research, and am beginning to get a good grasp on basic technical terms and catagories; I would love to hear personal reasons as to why one bike would be better for me than another.

Here are my criteria:
-Long Distance and Short Distance Rides: Although I plan to ride this bike around town where my future university is at, my biggest reason for getting one (besides having wanted one for years) is as a cheap, reliable, gas efficient transport between my school, and where my girlfriend is going, 2 and a half hours away.
-Comfort: Due to the same reasons, comfort for long time periods spent riding is a big factor.
-Durability and Reliability: I have read some things saying the a higher displacement (larger than 250, but I don't want anything larger than 750 at the absolute most) will stand up to longer rides better.

Although this one is pure vanity
-Not A Cruiser or Like Style: Nothing against people who like harleys, that style just isnt for me. I really love the styling of the Kawasaki Z1000, but obviously, that bike is way too much bike for me.

Bikes I have considered:
-Buell Blast: I have concerns about the fact that it's single cylinder, and I have heard it vibrates on the excessive side, a fact that I feel would render it uncomfortable for long rides. Vanity also comes into play; the styling isn't quite what I'm looking for.
-Suzuki Bandit GSF400: Concerns here include that it is sometimes listed as Sport-Standard, and by pictures, it looks as if the rider would have to lay down more on it than some other standards, making it uncomfortable for long rides.
-BMW650GS: Biggest concern with this bike is the displacement. I'm wary about if this will be too big for me as a newbie. I have read in some posts that this bike is a good newbie bike, plus it looks to have a comfortable stance and the rest of the appearance isn't too bad either. I haven't read any reviews on it however, so I am less informed about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Msf?

My friend who just got a Ninja 250cc told me about a class offered by our local college that also does driving school (indiana state university); would that be the same thing as an MSF? it's two days, 15 hours long... they supply bikes to learn on. thats all i know so far.

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
Some states, like mine, offer their own version of "MSF" so it is called a bit different..... I checked you Dept of Motor Vehicles website and they say that course meets or exceeds MSF... go for it

My friend who just got a Ninja 250cc told me about a class offered by our local college that also does driving school (indiana state university); would that be the same thing as an MSF? it's two days, 15 hours long... they supply bikes to learn on. thats all i know so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all. I'm Richard. New to the bike scene but think I got the right bike. Bought a 2008 Suzuki C50 in June. Didn't wait very long to add a couple accessories. Memphis shades windshield and lowers. Looking for the right seat and bags now. Had a passenger back rest when I bought it but I like the solo look so it may be gone soon.
I'll yammer on more later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Everyone.

My first and only forum I've joined since getting back on the iron horse. I am 49 yrs old and love the riding.
I was off for twenty years and have kicked myself for that.
I am currently riding a 1986 Suzuki Intruder 700 a friend loaned me last year.
I have a 1978 Honda 400 Hondamatic which is in the process of being worked on for riding. My wife has a 1975 Honda 250 rebel, which also is being worked on. I'm not much of a motorcycle mechanic but am learning.
Peace to you and ride 'em till the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newbie to this fourm

Hello, looking foward to meeting some new people on this fourm. I have had a couple of bikes and recently bought a 07 strat. This is going to be my new project bike. But heres a pic of my last bike which was an 08 Vulcan 900 Custom.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stumped....

Hi,
I have a 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit. Lately, when I put it in neutral to start it, I don't see the green light. If the green light isn't on, the bike won't start. It's a new problem and intermittent. Anyone have any ideas?:eek:ff-topi:

·
We're still thinking up a doozie
2,468 Posts
Hello, looking foward to meeting some new people on this fourm. I have had a couple of bikes and recently bought a 07 strat. This is going to be my new project bike. But heres a pic of my last bike which was an 08 Vulcan 900 Custom.
WOW!! Flag City, huh? :mrgreen:

I'm originally from Bluffton, and used to cruise on into Findlay during the summer.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
old rider

Hello All,

I've been a lurker on this site for a year or so and have finally decided to surface.
I gave up the ride after my kids were born and waited to start it back up a few years ago.
I went to MSF classes first to see if I really wanted to have a go at it. Got the bug, bought an "06" C50T, and have been in the seat as often as MI climate allows.
Had to take a little time off this spring for open heart but the riding has been the best kind of therapy for an old guys ticker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy all!
Just got here myself have a few scooters myself and love to deal in bikes so if you have something interesting for sale let me know!

101 - 120 of 198 Posts