Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me state up front that I realize I'm probably way over-thing this, but it's a rainy Monday and I have a few minutes to think, so here goes.

My '05 S50 is due for an oil change in about 1k miles. I've done two oil changes using Castrol GO! 10W-40 motorcycle oil and I have a full unopened quart leftover, so I was going to just buy two more and be done with it. Except when I went to buy some, I'm finding it difficult to do so. Bought it at Walmort.com a year for $5.02 per quart. Now it's $10.87 per quart! Screw that. Advance Auto supposedly sells it, but none of them local have it in stock. O'Reilly doesn't have it, AutoZone doesn't carry it. Amazon has it but it looks like can only get a 6-pack for $50.

So I figured this might be the time to switch to the Rotella T6 a lot of folks seem to like, and just forget about my leftover quart of Castrol. But I don't see Rotella in a 10W-40, which is what the manual recommends. They do have it in 15W-40, which many folks say is fine.

I suppose I could just buy a couple of quarts of any name-brand (Valvoline?) 10W-40 that doesn't say "energy conserving" and that has the JASO-2 or JASO-MA2 certification, but that's where the OCD comes into play. I'm guessing the bike doesn't care if there's two quarts of Valvoline and a quart of Castrol as long as it's all 10W-40, but what the hell do I know? And if it does matter, I could just get three quarts of the Valvoline and call it a day.

So what's the concensus? I won't bother making it a poll; I'm just curious.

A: Suck it up and pay what I need to to get two more quarts of Castrol.
B. Switch to Rotella T6 15W-40 and don't lose sleep over it.
C. Just get three quarts of Valvoline ($4.54 ea, at Wally's) and get on with my life.

·
Super Moderator
13,411 Posts
A: Suck it up and pay what I need to to get two more quarts of Castrol.
B. Switch to Rotella T6 15W-40 and don't lose sleep over it.
I vote for both A and B.

Do A this time. This will cost you about $10 more than you expected.
Do B next time.

Truth is that you can mix different weights of oil with no ill effects but there really is no reason to do that.
Also you don't have to use the EXACT weight that is recommended. Close is OK here.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply, Easy Rider. It figures, since I was leaning toward C. :)

Just curious. In your opinion is Rotella significantly better than Valvoline for these bikes? I thought the big attraction of Rotella was the price and <$5/qt. for Valvoline JASO-MA2 motorcycle specific seems pretty good. Not questioning you; just trying to learn here.

·
Super Moderator
13,411 Posts
Just curious. In your opinion is Rotella significantly better than Valvoline for these bikes?
Oil is oil. As long as it doesn't turn to MUD over it's rated life, then one brand is not much different than another.
The Rotella T6 is a synthetic formula so it should be slightly better than a conventional dino type.
But in normal use, a synthetic is not really needed.
If you should blow out a radiator hose and suddenly overheat, having synthetic oil in there might save you from a major repair bill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts