Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. When I reach my destination, I see oil leaking from the side right of the engine. I thought it was the oil tank itself (since the outside of the tank was getting wet will oil), but it's not that.
If you look straight up from the oil tank right before the gas tank, there is a small piece sticking out and pointing down. This piece is oily and is dripping. Attached is a pic of the small piece.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Knowing what that piece is called would also help.

Thanks again
Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
I would think that is a breather line and should be attached to the air box, thus the spring clip on the end. The oil dripping out would not be such a problem....probably caused by a build up of pressure in the tank...when attached to the airbox in a more upward position. Look for an outlet towards the lower back end of the airbox that has a lip on it. The spring clip fits over the rubber pipe behind the lip to stop it slipping off.

Good luck

·
Registered
98 Posts
Aussie Steve is spot on, the breather assembly somehow got disconnected.

To conform to EPA standards, the engine breather directs fumes into the airbox to be recirculated back into the combustion chamber. Some Harleys are notorious for "oil blow-by" from the same area as your's. But with the breather on your C50 being disconnected, it's more like "simulated/inadvertant oil blow-by". It would also be a good idea to check the air filter to make sure it's not saturated with oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts