Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed about a week when i went to fuel up on my 2011 m109r i saw some oil splash on left side of the bike wipe it down. oil dip stick was checked few days before and it was place back correctly. so i continued to ride after fueling up and as i got to the location i kept looking and still noticed a splash of oil on the left side still. the bike road fine so i brought it to the shop to someone who works on bikes for many years..He looked at it checked it and noticed a few things whom ever worked on this bike prior did some things to it but i have had this bike for 5 yrs now and it road fine.. after he checked it and change the oil which i picked it up yesterday i went for a long ride again. and i noticed it started to leak again slightly not as much as the last time.. He mentioned something about it getting clogged.. I text him back yesterday and the bike is still leaking and that i will be dropping off the bike to him this week. But as i got back home after the ride it didn't leak but when i went to fuel before getting home their was a little slightly leak same area.. does anyone have any clue why would this happen... i am very happy with this bike too...

·
Registered
253 Posts
on my yamaha i had oil leaking on the backside and determined the valve cover oring was worn. then oil was leaking from the low middle front right side and determined it was the timing chain tensioner cover oring. and then the front side valve cover oring. one more if theres a little too much oil in the bike it can blow out the crankcase vent into the airbox.can you be more descriptive in where its coming from.picture would help. your mechanic was not much help.best wishes.

·
Super Moderator
12,689 Posts
Have you had the air filter out and closely inspected the intake housing ??

This is a fairly common occurrence and is usually just a result of the normal operation of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation hardware.

It can be made worse by over-filling the oil, using an oil thinner than recommended or riding REAL hard at high rev's.

IF....the small amount of accumulated oil is cleaned out of the intake at each oil change, you usually won't notice any leakage.

If you have a paper filter element, it probably should be changed too.......as it will clog with oil fumes eventually.
If you have a foam air filter, someone might have put WAY too much oil on it.

This can also be a sign of ring blow-by......if the engine has a LOT of miles on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts