Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...I'm a first time poster - long time lurker. Yesterday I changed the oil in my 2009 M50 (thank god I didn't wait until the 2010 model came out, I prefer the 09 design) - I am not sure what is going on with my oil level indicator.

I recently returned from deployment and was doing some routine maintenance on my bike before going for a ride, which included an oil change. I initially used 3 liters of Castrol GTX 10W-40 and did everything by the book -filled it, let it idle for a few mins, let it sit for about 10 mins, re-checked the level to discover that it was low. I added about 1/3 of another liter which totals 3 1/3 liters of oil. The level indicator rose to 75% of "full". I took the bike around the block and then let it sit over night thinking everything was good. I woke up this morning and oil level indicator was at about 50% - not a big issue for me at this point. Fast forward three hours - the oil level indicator now shows a level at greater than 100%, there is a slight bubble in the indicator which leads me to believe that it is not at capacity, but pretty darn close. I started it to see if I could determine if it was running rich - by exhaust smell and appearence. All appears normal. The bike has been in the same position since I parked it yesterday.

Has anyone had a similar situation after changing the oil? If the level indicator is correct and I am running at greater than 100% oil capacity - will it be a problem without signs that it is running rich? I know I could pull the plug and drain a bit of oil - but I do not have another disposable oil receptacle and the idea seems kind of messy. Would appreciate thoughts. :???:

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
there is a slight bubble in the indicator which leads me to believe that it is not at capacity, but pretty darn close.
Others with that model can tell you more but a couple of notes:

Bike must be level front to back as well as side to side; best to check it parked in the same spot every time.......and do it like the book says, every time or allow for some variance.

And as long as you can see any "daylight" at the top of the window, you don't need to worry about damage from an overfill. There is some slop in the capacity.

·
Registered
926 Posts
And as long as you can see any "daylight" at the top of the window, you don't need to worry about damage from an overfill. There is some slop in the capacity.
:plus1:

·
Registered
910 Posts
If you feel there is a bit too much oil in the bike you might just spin off the filter and drain it. Put it back on and do your oil level check after running the engine to fill the fliter again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you feel there is a bit too much oil in the bike you might just spin off the filter and drain it. Put it back on and do your oil level check after running the engine to fill the fliter again.

Water Warrior - thanks for the idea about the filter, I will try it. :bluethum:

Phoenix, Easy Rider - I appreciate you taking the time to provide your thoughts.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Are you sure your bike is completely level when looking at the glass every time? Look at the level glass and tip the bike side to side a little bit. You'll see that it really doesn't take much of a change to throw off your reading. You could have the right amount of oil (up to the full line) but only see it halfway on the glass if you bike was tipped to the left. It can also looked overfilled if tipped to the right. I know this sounds very " Well Duh! ", but it's good to move the bike a little bit so you get an idea of how much bike tipping affects your reading.

I sit on the bike to keep it level and check the glass using a telescopic Mirror.
Telescopic Mirror - Canadian Tire
This way there's no chance of dropping the bike.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I sit on the bike to keep it level and check the glass using a telescopic Mirror.
That's what I do too. I'm not as good as I once was, lol.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
C',mon there must be a bunch of guys like me that grab the rear footpeg and handlebar and do the balancing act.
:plus1::shock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts