Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil seemed low so I put some in and changed filters. I took it for a short ride and I see some oozing out the top where a steel cable connects (throttle?). Did I over fill it or is this not sealing properly? Not a mechanic by any means, so please be kind.

Should I just drain/siphon some oil?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Is there a dipstick or sight glass. With the bike on level ground and upright check the oil level. If it is OK then the oil breather pipe may be kinked casuing oil pressure to build up and weep past the seal. Alternatively the seal on the clutch actuating lever...the part you have taken a picture of... may be worn out and need replacing....a simple job needing a screwdriver, socket of the correct size and a new seal. If you are unsure take it to a mechanic for diagnosis and repair.

Good luck... I would suggest a search of Google for the specific seal replacement...if it turns out to be that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a dipstick, but it's a short one and it's not very easy to see any markers on it, might just be old and worn.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Oil seemed low so I put some in and changed filters.

First let's get the details right.

You added some oil........and THEN changed the OIL FILTER ??
On most engines, about half a quart comes out with the old filter and sometimes a lot more "leaks" out during the change.......if you haven't drained it first.
What led you to believe that it "seemed low" in the first place ? How much did you add ??

As for the dipstick, they don't normally wear any, no matter how old.
You NEED to find out how the dipstick works. Maybe more light is needed. Maybe you need reading glasses.
But that is the FIRST problem you need to solve because just guessing at the right level just won't get it.

And lastly, even if not mechanically inclined.......if you move the throttle, move the brake levers and move the clutch lever......you should notice that the "arm" in the picture moves when you pull the CLUTCH lever.

Oil won't normally leak out there, except for a tiny bit over a long time, because that point is so high up on the crankcase.

You may have severely overfilled it, which can be bad for you and the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts