Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had any issues with their oil pressure light? I just changed the oil in my 05 VStar 1100 Custom over the weekend. I've already put a couple hundred miles on it since the oil change. This morning while riding to work, I looked down and the oil light was on. It went back off after a couple seconds just as I was letting off the gas to pull over. I rode the rest of the way to work, and it didn't come back on. When I got off the bike, I checked the oil level and checked quickly for leaks. The oil level is between the low and high marks, although it's just a tick above the low mark, so I probably could add a little more and be ok. Anybody have any ideas what would cause this? Is this a known issue for the 1100's?

·
Registered
397 Posts
If it was just above the low line, I'd say a hard turn triggered the light, then went off when it read a better level. Check it again, and add some oil. Not too much, remember. Overfill is not good.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did top off the oil when I got home. But I wasn't in a turn when it was on. I was going straight down the interstate. Strange.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmmm. I just changed my oil and started having problems myself. My oil reads full, to the top line, when the bike is level.

Weird thing, adding half a quart reduces the amount the light comes on. But then the sight glass is reading over filled, I guess. I'm confused. Is the light faulty, sensor, or the sight glass not reading right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same issue, exactly!

I just found this forum doing a Google search on this problem. Thanks for posting it and leading me here to register and get in on the discussion.:bluethum: I hope we get a solution.

Other search results leads me to believe the filter may be clogging or the engine may need a drop or two of oil. Also check wiring for any intermittent shorts. Finally, the sending unit is likely a level indicator (not a pressure guage).

I think I will start with a fresh oil and filter change, and be sure to keep a watch for the sneaky little o-ring that tries to fall off and dissappear in the drain pan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
just realized the rest of the threads

Having just seeing only the initial thread from the Google search, I realize other threads contributing to this discussion.

Other Google search results says not to overfill the oil. It will lead to oil in the air chamber and likely oil draining from it all over the engine. I had that once after dealer changed oil.

fyi...wellsc1

·
Registered
910 Posts
I am not all that knowledgable with the big Stars but I do believe they have a filter cartrige. Is it possible the cartrige was put in backwards ?? Just a WAG here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I still plan to change oil, but this morning the light came on momentarily again and went off as soon as I let off the throttle. I'm wondering if it's a dirty oil filter contributing to this also. It didn't right after dealer changed oil. It happened about 12 month after. I'm overdue for oil change due to time not miles though. embarrassed...:eek:oops:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem, and did some research. Sometimes you can develop a bubble over the sensor which will activate the warning lite. I checked my levels and they were fine. After I stopped and re-started the lite went off. Its only happened a couple of times since. Its just a good warning to check everything once in awhile.

·
Registered
13 Posts
changed oil with synthetic

Oil level light has not come on since changing oil and filter. I put the specified 3.3 qts of Mobil 1 15w30 synthetic in it. So far, so good.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts