Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boys are rebuilding a 1973 TS185. They are testing the oil pump and partially disassembled it. In helping them reassemble the pump, we can’t agree on the orientation Of the spring and plunger that fit under the cover plate at the bottom of the pump. I think the plunger should be between the spring and pump, as shown in the photo. My son claims that when he took it apart, the plunger was against the cover plate, and the spring was pressing on the pump spline. So, who is right? Which end of the spring should the plunger be on? Thanks,

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
That is probably a pressure relief valve and it would make more sense as it is in the pic. It all depends on what is at the bottom of the bore. Also those marks on the cap show something has been pressing against it....I would try and match up either the spring or the plunger. A workshop drawing is the best option if you can find one....a specific website may exist for these bikes. Failing that a website for spare parts should show an exploded view of this pump.

Ps next time tell him to take pics with his phone...lol!

Good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
I second that, it looks like a relief. Plus that plunger would do nothing if it was the other way. The contact marks in the cover should match one or the other.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts