Motorcycle Forum banner

Oil repair on ninja 250r

12K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  DrBob 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250r and recently I noticed that oil is seeping out of the right side engine cover. Auto part Metal Engine Steel Automotive engine part
What could have caused this and how can I fix it? Please help.:madd:

See less See more
#4 ·
Not worn, but dried out or maybe the cover has been removed at some point and a bolt was overtightened, crushing the gasket. Did you buy the bike used?

Also, are you sure it is leaking there? Not from around the oil filler cap and dripping down there? If so, you probably need a new o-ring around the filler cap. But if there is no trace of oil between the filler cap and the gaslet, its the gasket.

If you live anywhere near Atlanta I can recommend a shop, or if you are on the North side of Atlanta I can squeeze it in later this week.

#5 ·
I did buy the bike used. The previous owner maintained this bike well though. I'm positive that it is leaking from that point. I have studied the entire engine while the bike was running and that was the only area from which I could see oil coming from. However, I did find another spot with build-up. Fuel line Auto part Wire Automotive fuel system Engine
I've read that this could be from a leak in the air-box. I took a video of the oil leaking from the cover: . I live in Stone Mountain, but I prefer to do my own repairs to save some $$. Thank you though. :)

#9 ·
Although my profile pic is the same color, year, make and model! lol Oh btw since you bought it have you changed the oil? When I bought mine oil was coming out of the overflow and it was because it had an extra quart in it!

#13 · (Edited)
Pop over to the Kawasaki dealer and get clutch cover gasket part number 11009-1872. Not hard to do, just be careful not to damage the oil seals and don't loose the pins.

- Remove the right lower plastic fairing
- Loosen locknut at the clutch lever, and screw in the adjuster to get slack in the cable
- Line up the slots in the clutch lever/locknut and adjuster and then free the cable from the lever
- Remove the lower cable adjuster from the cable holder near the clutch cover
- Free the clutch cable clevis from the clutch lever- now you can get the cable out of the way and get to all the bolts
- Drain all the oil out of the engine- so it is best to wait until you are due for an oil change anyways
- Remove the clutch cover bolts
- Rotate the clutch lever counterclockwise, and it will release from the clutch internals and slide right out of the cover
- Remove the clutch cover, don't loose the locator pins
- Clean the gasket surface well. The old gasket may come off clean, but if not use a 3M pad or brass brush to clean it. Do not use a steel scrapper or razor blade or you risk scratching the soft aluminum surfaces and creating an oil leak.
- Put on the new gasket, and re-assemble in reverse of above. Put in the cover bolts in a star patern to spread out the pressure, hand tight, then go back in star patern and tighten them to 87 inch/pounds with a torque wrench. Do not overtighten or you risk and oil leak. Do NOT just use a socket set and guess- use a torque wrench. If you do not have one, the Autozone or Advance Auto will usually loan you one if you leave a deposit.
- REFILL WITH OIL
- Start engine and check for leaks- you should be fine now.
- If you pull the cover and there is a scratch or chip where the leak is now, the previous owner used something steel to scrape a gasket and boogered it up. Take a photo and post it before you re-assemble and I'll advise you on if it can be fixed at home or if it will need to be welded up and machined back down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.