Motorcycle Forum banner

Oil & Tons of smoke coming out exhaust '72 TS185

8K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  The7ofus 
#1 ·
I got my junkyard '72 TS185 up and running then it sat for about 6 months (still need mirrors, rear light, etc..). Anyway, I had to move to a different state and went to show it off to a friend who was helping me move. The damn thing wouldn't start. It took a while to get it running the first time it turned over so I kept at it. I couldn't see any gas with the cap off but when I shook the tank, I heard some sloshing around but the thing never ran. Anyway, I started messing around with it a few days ago and it still wouldn't start. I had just rebuilt the carb but maybe something else went wrong. Well, my one stroke of intelligence came when I decided to see if enough fuel was getting to the carb. I pulled off the fuel hose and nothing came out. Went to the gas station, filled up the tank and it started on the first kick.

Cool. But now it's billowing smoke and oil is dripping out the where the muffler meets the head (still gotta replace that gasket). Could I have been pumping oil into the engine every time I tried to kick start it? This did not happen when I rode it around 6 months ago. Ideas?

#3 ·
Yeah, it's a 2-cycle. I replaced the rings when tore down the engine (had to replace some seals in that involved splitting the cranckcase). I doubt it's a cracked piston since the engine has hardly been run since. I can't say with 100% certainty, though, if I used a fresh head gasket.... definitely worth checking.

#4 ·
If I'm not mistaken, the oil pump depends on engine speed - at least in this motorcycle. I tried kick-starting it a ton while I was puzzling through why it wasn't starting. Could I have not simply been pumping in oil with every kick?

Maybe I'm being overly hopeful....

#7 ·
Could I have not simply been pumping in oil with every kick?
Yes.
And being a 2-cycle with an oil reservoir makes the advice entirely different.

Only one way to get oil out the tailpipe......that is having too much of it go IN via the oil injector system.

So, forget that bit about compression. If it runs, that should be OK.
Also probably forget the other suggestions too.......and concentrate on the oil injection system.

It won't hurt anything but the plug to run it for a while if it is smoking and see if the smoke dies down and the drip out the back slows down after it runs a minute or two. But be sure the oil reservoir doesn't run dry.

#5 ·
Looks like I gotta run to my storage unit to get my compression gauge.

A lot of folks online talk about the engine running rich and needing to adjust the carb.... I guess oil coming out of the tailpipe is common.

I moved from 5000ft to 2500ft in elevation. I would have thought that moving to a place with denser air would have resulted in the engine running too lean, not too rich.

#6 ·
It may be the oil has flooded the engine and caused the no run situation. Pull the plug/s and clean and dry them. I would also check the oil pump setting...this type of oiling is done via a cable running from the throttle. There should be a wide open throttle setting mark on the pump body that corresponds to one on the pump pully. Usually these marks need to line up at WOT.

Good luck

#8 ·
Easy Rider, thank you for the insight. I removed the muffler yesterday to take a peek. I'll clean up what I can and see what happens.

I think I set this up correctly when I re-installed the engine but it is worth checking.
While I was fussing with it, I tried starting it with the throttle at different positions. I know a bit more about carbs now but, also, that would have pumped even more oil in (I didn't think about the oil pump at the time).

#9 ·
I'm no 2-cycle expert but..............
In general, the basic design draws the fuel/oil mixture THROUGH the "crankcase" on it's way to the combustion chamber. There some of the oil gets deposited on the bearings.

The operation of one with a pump might be entirely different but there still should not be any oil accumulated in the bottom of the engine (sump, crankcase).

If there IS some, it would not hurt anything but would tend to suck some of it in to be burned until it is all gone......which might take a LONG time.

If there is an easy way to take the plug out and turn the engine upside down.......you might be surprised at what spews out if you turn it over slowly. Note: NOT recommended if the gas tank will also turn upside down.

#10 ·
As far as I understand it oil pumps were fitted to two strokes so there was no pre-mixing needed. The system works exactly as a pre-mix two stroke engine. As ER says there may well be a build up of oil in the case being sucked up as well as the metered oil making the engine run way too oily. A plug inspection will show this up. Never having worked on 2 stroke motorcycle engines much I presume there is no drain plug in the crankcase base.

#12 ·
Hi there it is a two stroke so it will blow a bit of smoke but it sounds like it's getting a bit to much oil?, Just block the auto line system off, and then mix oil with the petrol 25/1 or 30/1. Then go for a good ride but Don't thrash it, if it clears that the problem, if not look at the rings, take the head and barrel off and you will know if the rings are bugged, at this point you could just put new rings in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.