Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Here is the mysterious shifter fork. Would that be OEM size since no stamp showing any differant is there? or has the stamp wore off? Other one is +.005 And if the sizes are correct why would it wear so bad? And these should have roller bearing right? Went to buy some but the site told me they would not match my bike?
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Shifter fork is just buggered....I dont think any shifting mechanism has a bearing on it. As for size I would think they would just get replaced...any wear on the surface it works against would need to be addressed by fitting a new gear shaft.

An oil film is usually all the load bearing surface has to prevent wear...perhaps the oil level was run too low at some stage causing the wear you see....or there is excessive wear in other gearbox components.

Another possibility is the shift fork seems to have side wear...maybe the return mechanism is not allowing the fork to return fully leaving it to rub against the gear/s it has just moved?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shifter fork is just buggered....I dont think any shifting mechanism has a bearing on it. As for size I would think they would just get replaced...any wear on the surface it works against would need to be addressed by fitting a new gear shaft.

An oil film is usually all the load bearing surface has to prevent wear...perhaps the oil level was run too low at some stage causing the wear you see....or there is excessive wear in other gearbox components.

Another possibility is the shift fork seems to have side wear...maybe the return mechanism is not allowing the fork to return fully leaving it to rub against the gear/s it has just moved?
The first picture, the round part is the "bearing" i was refering to. Actually called fingure rollers. Which is what i attempted to order and was told its not a fit. It did come off the original. Which really threw me off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The first picture, the round part is the "bearing" i was refering to. Actually called fingure rollers. Which is what i attempted to order and was told its not a fit. It did come off the original. Which really threw me off.

And yes just replace but they used various sizes which are stamped on the fork. The one which i assume is 1st & 3rd is stamped +.005 other has no stamp. That could be because it is "OEM" size. Or with the wear it simply wore of. Could be -.005, +.005, -.010, +.010.

From what i understand +/- .020 is considered OEM and wouldnt be stamped.

Other thought is being it was a replaced motor. Is im not the first person in there and somebody already used the wrong sized forks? Which could explain some issues. In my opinion the gears all look pretty good. Esp. considering the fork wear.
It shifted ruff at times as many Ironheads do. But also 4th gear was always a issue. Sometimes falling out of gear somewhere between 3rd n 4th while riding. Seemed to shift harder into 4th then other gears as well. Not too often but once in awhile 4th gear gave me attitude.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
In that case then I would suggest the 'finger roller'/shift fork fitted was oversize and continued to rub against the gear it shifts. How are the rollers held in place?

I have never seen removable bearing surfaces fitted to shift forks....usually they have a hardened surface which is part of the main fork and the whole fork is changed out when it is worn out.

From what info you have it appears the shaft free play has to be calculated to work out what shift fork thicknesses you can fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts