Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Super Moderator
14,063 Posts
Rotella is fine.
SOME of it. Some is NOT.

You need to check the certifications on whatever variety you are looking to use and be SURE
it is certified for motorcycle WET CLUTCH use.

For a few pennies more you can use T6 synthetic. I think that even has a little motorcycle on the label.

· Super Moderator
14,063 Posts
I'm willing to listen as to WHY I would want to run synthetic and what possible benefits it could have for me.
Look it up.

Main advantages are: More stabil viscosity. Doesn't thin out with heat or thicken up with cold as much.
Doesn't break down with age as soon.
Doesn't fail as quickly should you encounter a bad overheat condition.

I am not saying that anybody NEEDS full synthetic......except maybe race engines with a turbo......
but pretty much the whole vehicle industry agrees that it is better, mostly for severe service.
They also agree that for "normal" service straight dino or a blend is plenty good enough.

Again, if you really care, look it up.
But I suspect that you don't really care so mentioning that you have this "thing" against synthetic oil really accomplishes nothing useful.

· Super Moderator
14,063 Posts
It may well be better for the Royal Star but for the Harley 103
in hot temps I got a lot more knocking running full synthetic oil than with reg dino or syn blend maybe thats what prejudiced me.
I run straight Valvoline 20W50 motorcycle oil in it as I have for all my bikes.
I don't think you are making a valid comparison there.

The Harley is AIR cooled, right ?
And they recommend a 20W50 weight for it......right ??
And most of them do NOT share oil between the engine and transmission......right ??
So you have a whole different ballgame.
If it has a dry clutch, you don't even need "motorcycle" oil in the engine.

If you put a lighter weight synthetic in it you probably should expect to notice some difference.
Not many W50 synthetic oils around but there are some. Mobil 1 just for instance.

Maybe the difference you noticed was because of the viscosity (weight) of the synthetic that you tried.
Or maybe it was just because it was a Harley. (Couldn't resist.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts