Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do youthink. Old 1994 Road King, great shape, about $7,500 or New Road King, about $20,000?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Rather ride the new one but a '94 RK is a lot of bike for $7K,lots can be done to pump up that Evo motor for a little more power without breaking the bank but it'll never get the gas mileage or range of a new one.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
What do youthink. Old 1994 Road King, great shape, about $7,500 or New Road King, about $20,000?
Not having seen the '94......I think that finances plays a big part in that question.
If the buyer can't pay cash for the new one, or pay off the financing within 2 years or so, then I would recommend the '94.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Not having seen the '94......I think that finances plays a big part in that question.
If the buyer can't pay cash for the new one, or pay off the financing within 2 years or so, then I would recommend the '94.
One could do a home equity loan if a homeowner with some equity and have low interest and small payments.
I've done that before,of course I paid it off early but with 20 year financing and small payments I could pay more or not on any given month and not worry about a big monthly payment every month and high interest rates.
Also meant I got the title to the bike and could go with any insurance plan I wanted to or even none if I wanted (not that stupid though despite no proof of insurance required in WA for motorcycles).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This isn't a question about financing. It's a question about feeling, emotion, movement. What moves you. WHat is it about motorcycles, harleys, that pumps your blood. SOmething old, something new, something borrowed, something blue?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
This isn't a question about financing. It's a question about feeling, emotion, movement. What moves you. What is it about motorcycles, Harleys, that pumps your blood. Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue?
'94 isn't old enough to be "old" by H-D standards.
For most enthusiasts, Harleys break down between Evo engines and later as modern bikes and Shovelheads or earlier as vintage to antique.
Nothing modern really moves the emotions like the vintage iron.
Iron being the key word here,many old timers don't even consider anything that's not "real Milwaukee iron" a true Harley,Evo and later engines are aluminum and thus not real iron HOGs.
At least in the minds of the old school crowd,many are riding the newer bikes now though lol,can't beat a good Evo for reliable transpo.
When I got my '84 Evo powered Superglide I took a lot of grief from the old school guys,they wouldn't have a "riceolution","you ain't %%%%% if you can't kickstart","Honda Davidson" etc etc etc lol.
Even Sonny Barger rides new bikes these days but that sentiment still holds true for many,at any rate an older Harley has to be "real iron" to really stir emotion.
1994 is just a bike even if it's a Harley,1984 was basically when the last of the iron Harleys were made,the AMF period (1970-1980) is more accepted now being iron but for the real hardcore it must be pre AMF,early Shovels or Pans and Knucks and with a kick start.
Now those were "real Harleys" and they are what really moves the soul of an aficionado.

"Genny Shovel" (generator),considered by many the last real Harley.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
This isn't a question about financing.
You are right, most of the time it isn't......but a LOT of the time it really should be.

The suggestion to load up all of your debts against your house is about the worst possible advice.

Whatever happened to SAVING to pay for your toys ????

Has the current financial crisis given us no clue that too much borrowing is a BAD thing ??

Off soap box; done.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THanks, Y2K, very informative. I not really concerned with "the Harley Afficianotos" either, though. A lot of them are half-breeds. I don't care what someone thinks someone else likes. I'm asking about YOU, (not you personally, you generally). I mentioned a 1994 because 1994 is the first year of the Road King, it's practical and affordable and readily available, and yet historic, even if it wouldn't appeal to some of the half-breed afficianitos out there, and it could be taken seriously for regular transportation.

Easy, I agree with you but a dollar is a dollar is a dollar, as far as that goes.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I mentioned a 1994 because 1994 is the first year of the Road King, it's practical and affordable and readily available, and yet historic,
Well the RK is really just a continuation of an older model with a new name and a few minor changes in styling to look more like the original Electraglide from 1965.
It and all Road Kings are nostalgia bikes styled after that original EG as was the predecessor known as the FLH Sport or FLHS.

The whole story here......... History of The Harley-Davidson Electraglide Sport FLHS

Changes from '93 FLHS to '94 FLHR:
Chrome primary, rocker box covers, cam cover and transmission cover
New, retro-style chrome headlight housing
Speedometer and dash moved from fork/handlebar assembly to gas tank
Elimination of tachometer
Wrinkle black engine paint
Lost "Electra Glide" name
New seat with Fatboy style passenger perch
Wider, Fatboy style handlebars
Elimination of stock passenger back-rest and luggage rack assembly, which became additional cost options with the Roadking
Elimination of luggage rack base and relocation of rear seat bolt attachment point from base to top of rear fender
$1,775 higher MSRP

FLHS

FLHR

1965 Electraglide

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are really nice photos, Y2K, and an informative account to go along with them. I didn't know that.

By the way, if anyone knows, what's the difference between a "Rocker Box Cover" and a cylinder head cover? Maybe they aren't even related. HWat's the Rocker Box?

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
HWat's the Rocker Box?
It's where the rocker arms are on an engine that does not have overhead cams.

I tend to call them all "valve covers"........even when there aren't any valves or rockers in there, as in a true flat head.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
By the way, if anyone knows, what's the difference between a "Rocker Box Cover" and a cylinder head cover? Maybe they aren't even related. HWat's the Rocker Box?
On a typical OHV pushrod car engine like a Chevy smallblock they are called valve covers mainly because they cover the top of the cylinder head where the valves and rockers are but they are just covers with no moving parts attached.
On a Harley OHV engine the rockers are built into the covers hence rocker box.

Shovelhead

Knucklhead

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way, I'm still toiling on whether or not to spend $20K on a new Road King. I've widened the color spectrum I find acceptable. It now includes: Anniversary two tone, Candy Orange and Beer Bottle two tone, Peace Officer Blue and Midnight Pearl, not in that order.

The thing is, it would be so much fun to buy a '94 and fix it up with all the money I'd save. I could paint it Camo, like I realy want, and have money for seats and chrome and rims and exhaust. It's just that I'd be giving up on a 2013 Road King, which I really think is one of the great motorcycles out there. So, if any of the two of you who post in this forum have any CONSTRUCTIVE thoughts, one way or the other, now's the time to express them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way, I'm still toiling on whether or not to spend $20K on a new Road King. I've widened the color spectrum I find acceptable. It now includes: Anniversary two tone, Candy Orange and Beer Bottle two tone, Peace Officer Blue and Midnight Pearl, not in that order.

The thing is, it would be so much fun to buy a '94 and fix it up with all the money I'd save. I could paint it Camo, like I realy want, and have money for seats and chrome and rims and exhaust. I could take it apart and detail it and probably either paint it myself or prep it myself and get an affrdable paint job. It's just that I'd be giving up on a 2013 Road King, which I really think is one of the great motorcycles out there. So, if any of the two of you who post in this forum have any CONSTRUCTIVE thoughts, one way or the other, now's the time to express them.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
if you can afford it and know you want a road king go new. i just dont see the point in getting a 17 yr old bike and then dumping money into it. to me the point of a used bike is to get something you can ride with little extra investment.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
have any CONSTRUCTIVE thoughts, one way or the other, now's the time to express them.
If you are going to be picky about what you consider as "constructive", then maybe you shouldn't ask in the first place.

We can't make up your mind for you. We can be a sounding board.....IF you try to fully explain your feelings and primary motivations.....which you have just started to do with the last post.

Regardless of your motivations, I think that trying NOT to do something stupid should be foremost.
That is, not spending money that you don't have and not buying a bike just to be "eye candy".
I buy a bike to RIDE, not to screw with. If your objectives don't match that, then my advice may not apply.

BUT that is me.
If what you want IS eye candy........or you aren't concerned about going into debt for it......then by all means, ignore my advice......but don't beat me up for giving it.
You DID ask.

All other things being equal, I think a newer vehicle is almost always a better choice, for reliability and "ego stroking".

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you are going to be picky about what you consider as "constructive", then maybe you shouldn't ask in the first place.

We can't make up your mind for you. We can be a sounding board.....IF you try to fully explain your feelings and primary motivations.....which you have just started to do with the last post.

Regardless of your motivations, I think that trying NOT to do something stupid should be foremost.
That is, not spending money that you don't have and not buying a bike just to be "eye candy".
I buy a bike to RIDE, not to screw with. If your objectives don't match that, then my advice may not apply.

BUT that is me.
If what you want IS eye candy........or you aren't concerned about going into debt for it......then by all means, ignore my advice......but don't beat me up for giving it.
You DID ask.

All other things being equal, I think a newer vehicle is almost always a better choice, for reliability and "ego stroking".
What's this "we" business?

You know, you're full of these debt and ego stroking stipulations. And the "eye candy" thing. You're just projecting. That's what you feel guilty about. I'm not in debt or for the ego. I pretty much ride alone. A lot of people just like cool motorcycles. I like nice looking telecsopes, too. I like great art. I have my mother's paintings all over the house. It isn't about eye candy. That's really about it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts