Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, it took a while but im finally fed up with riding home at night in the low 40's upper 30's. especially when the days are 60's, coupla extra hours at work means the difference between comfortable ride home and freezin my !#% off.

i've finished upgrading the rest of my gear for cold/wet weather and need to finish off with pants.

i've ruled out thermal underwear ( no rain protection and marginal wind), i havent ruled out a cheap rainsuit to just block the wind.

so im looking for some suggestions for over pants. most of the year kevlar jeans work just fine for me. but i figure armor might be useful for longer trips as well.

thanks in advance,

Sloz.

·
Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
1,477 Posts
Have you considered heated gear? Or matybe just pick up some cheep chaps and have felt or fleece sewn into them. Honestly my winter gear is lacking and I don't ride much past september. Plus the snow can drop from the sky at any momebnt so I have little gear for it. I have heard good reviews from guys in the paper over suit.

NMc

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
Sloz...
as far as armor... I recommend making a simple pair for yourself... no armour I have seen stays in place over the knee like this mod I did...
pull the knee armour (or buy it stand alone) out of an armored pants and simply duct tape... (yes...it has lasted years already)...a loop of wide elastic to it as in the pic . You do have to sew closed the elastic loop first. The elastic should be exactly the circumference of your knee so it doesnt cut into you....but too small to slide down your calf. Mine stay in place and i forget they are there. This way you can have your armor under levis or any pants you want....

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. think i'll go with annie's idea on the armor part. that looks like it'll work or maybe replacing the pads in my old lacrosse armor assuming it still fits.

so i guess i'll be looking for some overpants w/o armor.

i have this strange aversion to chaps.
sol_120-36239-village-people-kostuem-biker_z1_1.jpg

·
Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
1,477 Posts
HA!

Are you kidding that pic was all the inspiration I needed to rush out and buy a pair. And grow an awesome mustache too.

NMc

·
Registered
435 Posts
Check out my for sale thread. I just posted my Venture pants for sale ... EXCELLENT weather protection (both wind and rain) as well as my heated pant liners.

·
Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.
13,226 Posts
Sloz...
as far as armor... I recommend making a simple pair for yourself... no armour I have seen stays in place over the knee like this mod I did...
pull the knee armour (or buy it stand alone) out of an armored pants and simply duct tape... (yes...it has lasted years already)...a loop of wide elastic to it as in the pic . You do have to sew closed the elastic loop first. The elastic should be exactly the circumference of your knee so it doesnt cut into you....but too small to slide down your calf. Mine stay in place and i forget they are there. This way you can have your armor under levis or any pants you want....
And there's that leg....Helen of Troy had the face that could launch a thousand ships....tallannie has the legs that've made thousands of shifts. The leg that made Landry lose his mind...

Annie's leg aside Zomby....not for nothing...I regularly ride in the 30's/40's with a set of FroggTogg (spelling?) pants. The way they're constructed they keep heat in when it's cool, and let it out when it's hot, all the while keeping you dry if it's raining. They work...granted...they don't offer protection, but I stay very warm in them.

Now...back to Annie's leg.

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
ROFL Tim !!
but you cannot blame me for Landry losing his mind... that was a group effort here ... ;)

And there's that leg....Helen of Troy had the face that could launch a thousand ships....tallannie has the legs that've made thousands of shifts. The leg that made Landry lose his mind...

Annie's leg aside Zomby....not for nothing...I regularly ride in the 30's/40's with a set of FroggTogg (spelling?) pants. The way they're constructed they keep heat in when it's cool, and let it out when it's hot, all the while keeping you dry if it's raining. They work...granted...they don't offer protection, but I stay very warm in them.

Now...back to Annie's leg.

·
Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.
13,226 Posts
most of the year kevlar jeans work just fine for me
Nothin' gives me a severe case of swampass like a pair of Draggin' Jeans. Jeeeezus effin' Crow do I sweat in them sonofaguns. Not on the ride, hell no. It's sitting at my desk at work, or wherever your destination is/was. I have to pour sweat out of my boots. I like wearing them on a ride, but it's the after ride discomfort I can't deal with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts