Motorcycle Forum banner

Parking Question

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Jonathan 
#1 ·
I've got a couple questions I thought you folks could help me with. The first one is a parking question. When you go to a restaurant or a shopping center, do you just park in a standard parking space amongst all the cages? I feel like some one won't see my bike or will be careless and knock it over as they're pulling in/out. A friend asked me why I don't park on the sidewalk. Is this acceptable, rude, or risky? I'm sure it depends, but anyone care to share how/where you park your bike. Any tips.

Secondly, and I know this is a common question, how do you secure you're helmet when you leave your bike? I don't mind taking my helmet in with me, but sometimes if the weather is nice and I'm somewhere familiar, I wouldn't mind leaving it locked to the bike. I know my SV650 has some bars underneath the tail that would allow you to run a cable through and through your helmet. Are there helmet cable locks on the market or would you just use a thin bicycle cable lock?

Thanks for helping out the newb. I've been having a great time on the bike since I got it a month ago.

Adam C.

#2 ·
I think the parking is something you've got to feel out. Sometimes you can get away with parking in the diagonal lines spaces. Also another thing to consider or (not depending on your attitude) is the loudness of your bike some times you pull up to places you'd rather not disturb whats going on inside. Im running a D&D and we all know how obnoxious that can be.

Modern GSXR's have helmet locks under the rear seat. Convenient but if someone wants your $500 lid enough they'll cut the strap. Thats GHETTO :evil:

#3 ·
Hi ChibbMD
Alot of bike alarms have an extra sensor wire which can be used for stowing your helmet.

Stevie C

#4 ·
ChibbMD,

It all depends on the situation and where are you going can determine the outcome if you can park on the side walk or not. cause her in Florida motorcycles park on the side walk and diagnol lines. or for your helmet the 'Ole fashion way carry it in your back pack when you ride out...!

Option B motorcycle alarm loud enough and very high pitch to make them think twice... :evil: before the initial snatch of your lid...! :evil:

Ride Safe... have Fun...

Merc... 8)

#5 ·
For the most part, I park in the regular parking spaces, unless I know the business allows bike parking on the sidewalk or next to the building.

The next thing that I do, is I will ask the manager of the business if I can park next to the building. Of those that Ive asked, I have not received a no, yet. This usually strikes up a conversation about bikes and they tell you they either have one or they want one. Good to go!

As for the helmet, I take mine whenever I go. If Im gonna be somewhere where I cant or dont want to carry it around, get a locker or put in a friends car, if available to store it for me.

I have also gone so far to leave it with the front desk or reception area. These are somewhat secure places. Been lucky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.