Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can someone give me some tips on how one should park his bike?
For example what one should do in downhill roads, or uphill roads ....

For example my friend told me that in a downhill road, park your bike facing outwards, not facing the kerb, because I will not be able to puch is back. (the bike has no reverse)

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
personally, i'd avoid at all costs parking downhill. I've parked uphill before with the tire on the curb. That's how i do it, but not sure how others would do it.

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
Can someone give me some tips on how one should park his bike?
For example what one should do in downhill roads, or uphill roads ....
I think your friend gave you some bad advice.

I'd park backwards in a space before I'd point downhill, on anything more than just a slight grade , but.........

If you must park with the front facing DOWNhill, you should put it at an angle with the FRONT wheel firmly against the curb and turned fully to one side. This is to keep it from rolling OFF the stand.

If uphill, back into the curb.

I wouldn't think the lack of reverse would be much of a problem with a 180cc bike.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Back it in, but if you have to park headed downhill for some reason, leave it in first gear so it won't roll.

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,185 Posts
:roll:

My riding instructor taught me to ALWAYS park the bike in 1st gear, with the bike pushed forward against the gear before putting down the kickstand. That way, the bike can't roll further forwards to "fold" up the stand. If it rolls backwards, the stand will stay down.

I've had to park my bike in all kinds of directions and on all kinds of surfaces. If possible, I try to park on a level surface, even if I have to walk a bit further. Parking on a hill is not fun, especially when you have to back up to get into a spot, or when the bike is leaning much further over the kickstand than it was designed to.

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
Pointed downhill, the kickstand wants to fold up on my bike a little bit even in 1st gear. I test it...and if it seems like it wants to fold up on me, I dont park there !

I always back in also....but I dont recommend backing all the way to contact the curb if you are going to end up pointed uphill. The curb can hold your bike up somewhat and fool you as to whether you are level. Then you lift the kickstand, and give it some gas and get and immediate lurch down to the left. I had a near miss that way and just barely held the dang bike upright.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts