Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I NEED HELP! I have a problem with my saddle bags being right up on my passenger pegs. The g/f can barely keep her heels on the pegs, her legs/knees get uncomfortable after 20 mins, and won't hop on back unless I take the bags off. Even then, I'm not sure that'll fix her problem with comfort.

Anyone have any experience with this problem? Can you recommend a good way to move the pegs forward/down a couple of inches? I know Kuryakyn makes a couple of things, but not sure what to use, or how well they work.

OEM Pegs with offsets? New pegs/mini boards with offsets? Screw the saddlebags? The choices are endless. Looking for some wisdom on what worked for you guys and what sucked asphalt...

Thanks!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've noticed that too. I took the pegs off my bike since nobody ever rides on the back, but the bags do come right up to where the pegs would be. It is the nature of saddle bags. If you are going to use them, then your rider better have tiny feet. The only way around it would be to somehow mount the bags further back, but I know in my case I can only mount them as far back as the bolt on the pillion will allow. There may be other brackets which offer a solution, but if you are using a sling style bag, then you are pretty much stuck with what you have.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bags have mounting brackets, but they have to stay where they're at. There's about an inch, maybe 2 inches of space between peg and bag, and the back side of the bags go right up to the blinkers. So there is no room to push them back...

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've seen passenger peg boards before, but they were Kuryakyn, which means upwards of two hundred bucks. I think it would be easier to just remove the bags if you are riding two up and they are in the way. Or shell out the bones for some passenger boards and hopefully that works.

edit: Here is a link for you. Passenger Floorboards Suzuki for Motorcycles Not quite two hundred, so maybe these will work out better.

·
Super Moderator
13,458 Posts
and won't hop on back unless I take the bags off. Even then, I'm not sure that'll fix her problem with comfort.
I suggest that before you decide on what to do next, you should remove the bags for a couple of rides........to see for sure if they are the only problem or not.

PICTURES would help a lot.
Pictures of the bags on the bike would be good too. :whistle:

On most all of my bikes, I have been able to move the bags back to leave plenty of clearance from the rear pegs.
On my S50, I had to cut a big notch in the yoke to make that work though.
I understand that none of that may apply to the M......or to the bags that you have.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just turned the stock pegs around - used the right on the left and visa versa. It moves the pegs about 3 inches forward. My wife finds it ideal for 2-up riding. Plenty of clearance from pegs to bags. The "spacers" that I used were sockets from a set of cheap Harbor Freight half inch drive impact sockets. They were just the right length to gain the clearance needed to install the reversed pegs. Lengths of half inch iron pipe would work also. Just remember to buy some longer bolts.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Automotive lighting Car
Auto part Vehicle Motor vehicle Light Automotive lighting
Auto part Exhaust system Vehicle Automotive exhaust Car
Auto part Tire Automotive exterior Bumper Brake

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flipping the pegs sounds like a good idea. Cheap, and hopefully relatively problem free. I found a couple of lockable offsets to move them forward 2-4", but have heard that they don't like to stay locked in place. I'm also not sure if they will work with the passenger pegs. Here's what I have right now...
Auto part Vehicle Car Engine Automotive exterior
Trunk Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Vehicle door

·
Registered
75 Posts
I did the peg flip left to right and vice versa when I custom mounted hard bags a few months back and the wife loves the new position about three inches fwd and 2 inches lower. I just used the stock fender strut bolts to mount the pegs as I needed longer bolts for the saddlebag, quick release sissy bar mount anyway.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had the same issue with my passenger pegs. I tried to swap the pegs from opposite sides but found that the right side peg hit my Cruzers so I assume this move only works with stock exhaust. I ended up buying the Kuryakan ribbed floorboards. They have five different positions that you can use to mount them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts