Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The following is about the 1993 Yamaha Virago 535 we just recently purchased:

So after having the bike die on me twice when riding, then flipping to reserve (which we actually flipped it off, woops), it barely made it home. And we also learned the reserve switch goes in the opposite direction (we were riding it with reserve on, not off!)

So we got some nice additive, no-ethanol fuel ($4.21/Gal!!!), filled her up, and went to start her up. Click, click. Uh oh.

After much forum browsing and googling, we came to the deterimination the starter went out. With our little bike knowledge we take the starter out (D/C the battery first ofc), and oil goes all over. Oh well, needed a change anyway :p
So we bench test the starter, nothing. I decide to shake it, just because. And then we know for sure its bad unless starters usually have little pieces rattling all over the place....

Anyway, were gonna see if we can get it refurb'd or just buy one ($89 on ebay). On the bright side, the bike was running great finally, with the exception of getting 14MPG and the choke stuck full-on.

Pics for the halibut -

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17388159/SAM_3985.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17388159/SAM_3986.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17388159/SAM_3987.JPG

·
Super Moderator
12,245 Posts
I hope your analysis is right.
The click-click usually means a dead battery.

And there really is NO GOOD REASON to obsess over ethanol free gas. The bike is new enough that it was designed to work with E10......and the extra cost is just a waste.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope your analysis is right.
The click-click usually means a dead battery.

And there really is NO GOOD REASON to obsess over ethanol free gas. The bike is new enough that it was designed to work with E10......and the extra cost is just a waste.

Battery is practically new. Again, did a couple tests on the starter and provided no feedback, and when shaking it made noise of various parts inside broken.

I've heard ethanol is pretty nasty stuff and figured ethanol free would help a bike thats been sitting for a couple years.

·
Super Moderator
12,245 Posts
I've heard ethanol is pretty nasty stuff and figured ethanol free would help a bike thats been sitting for a couple years.
Greatly exaggerated. In long term storage, gasohol tends to deteriorate a bit quicker.
In really old vehicles or other engines not designed for it, it tends to damage rubber parts.
In an engine designed to use it........THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM, in normal use. NONE......ZERO.

The "pure" gas will give you up to about 5% better mileage......but often costs MORE than 5% more so that doesn't make any sense either.
And if the pure gas is high octane, your bike might even run worse.

Ethanol is not the work of the devil and is not "nasty stuff". It just isn't.

Draining the old gas and then putting in fresh regular with a healthy dose of carb/injector cleaner would have been MUCH better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greatly exaggerated. In long term storage, gasohol tends to deteriorate a bit quicker.
In really old vehicles or other engines not designed for it, it tends to damage rubber parts.
In an engine designed to use it........THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM, in normal use. NONE......ZERO.

The "pure" gas will give you up to about 5% better mileage......but often costs MORE than 5% more so that doesn't make any sense either.
And if the pure gas is high octane, your bike might even run worse.

Ethanol is not the work of the devil and is not "nasty stuff". It just isn't.

Draining the old gas and then putting in fresh regular with a healthy dose of carb/injector cleaner would have been MUCH better.
Oh, okay. Thanks. I was just going off what I've seen and then the local HD dealer suggested to use E-Free in it.
On the other note, we took in the starter and it for sure is bad. Having it rebuilt.

·
Registered
729 Posts
My Honda and my Harley Sportster both run just fine on E10 Gasoline. I can't tell the difference in running and millage either on my two bikes or on my three automobiles using E10.

·
Super Moderator
12,245 Posts
My Honda and my Harley Sportster both run just fine on E10 Gasoline. I can't tell the difference in running and millage either on my two bikes or on my three automobiles using E10.
And your experience is typical of 99.9% of the driving/riding public.
The stories about the remaining .1 % get blown WAY out of proportion.....and I suspect a lot to things get blamed on ethanol that would have happened anyway with plain gas.

Guess who encourages horror stories about E10 ??
Could it be the industry that instantly lost 10% of it's business when ethanol was added ??
No, couldn't be.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
You may find the rattling bits turn out to be brush remains. I fixed a starter that had the same problem by buying a set for an electric drill that were a similar size and had the wire fitted through the brush, (which is what I needed). A bit of sanding to get the brush to fit in the housing and it worked a treat and lasted till I sold the vehicle...cheap option too. Took an old one in to get the size close.

good luck

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may find the rattling bits turn out to be brush remains. I fixed a starter that had the same problem by buying a set for an electric drill that were a similar size and had the wire fitted through the brush, (which is what I needed). A bit of sanding to get the brush to fit in the housing and it worked a treat and lasted till I sold the vehicle...cheap option too. Took an old one in to get the size close.

good luck
Yes, if I remember correctly that is what they said it was.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, they got the parts yesterday and started working on the starter today (to rebuild it).

Long story short, it was the worst starter they have ever seen and its beyond repair. For $11 more than we were quoted they ordered a new one. Luckily labor and parts was totally free beings they couldn't repair it (excluding the fact we ended up paying it because of the price of a new one).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts