Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
Wondering if you can try and help me understand the history of my 2006 VZ800 that I just bought (without having looked at any others first).

Here's what I think might be plausible.
In a particular Australian state, where I bought this bike from, they have fairly strict inspections on sale of bikes.
I'm thinking maybe, my bike previously had the baffles removed and possibly an aftermarket air box/filter attached, then a TFI device like this fitted TFI - Techlusion Fuel Injection Controller - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, and the exhaust was returned to 'stock' for sale to the dealer I bought it from (or by the dealer).

Obviously I can see the TFI bit.
I thought I'd seen pics of other people's exhausts that just looked smooth at the baffle plate.
There appears to be slight damage from the welding of replacement plates (see near the S in SUZUKI in one of the pics).

Now, if I'm right, what do I do about it?
I'd like the exhaust to sound better/louder, and until I started looking at this, I was going to just drill some holes.
I assume the TFI device would have been left as it was - ie that they wouldn't have cared to reconfigure it for me, they would have just wanted it to pass. Does that mean it's likely to be running richer, or leaner? To the point I need to worry about using it as-is?

What do you reckon?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
im unfamiliar with that fuel processor. but 99% of the time they run richer than stock. if you can get the make/model of the processor someone can probably tell you what its currently set to or suggest a configuration. stock maps tend to be lean especially if you run e10

it definately looks like someone welded a new backplate on that exhaust. drilling a few holes in the backplate will deepen the sound but doesnt change the db much. it also doesnt really change the flow of the exhaust. to do that you need to drill out the plate where the pipes meet the muffler . cant tell from the pics whether thats been done.

no pics of the air cleaner so cant tell if thats been modded.

i wouldnt touch anything until you figure out what has been done to the exhaust/ac and find the setting controls for that fuel processor.

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
(without having looked at any others first).
Does that mean that this is your first bike ?

If so, you have managed to get yourself into a situation that is not good.
Even though you seem to have a pretty good handle on the situation, with no real
experience to help you, I suggest that you sell or trade the bike for one that has NOT been
messed with.
BUT.......
You didn't mention how the bike actually runs.
If it runs good, then just ride it.....AS IS.
Screwing with the mufflers might upset the balance, might cause it to fail it's next inspection and likely
is illegal anyway.

Next time ask more questions and do a better inspection. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This isn't my first bike. It's my first m50 and the only m50 ive ever looked at in the flesh.
It seems to be running well at present, but i may disconnect the connectors on the injectors, effectively uninstalling the TFI system and see how it is then for comparison.
I guess i dont want it running overly rich, if it is still configured for more air throughput, but no longer getting more now that the exhaust is re-restricted. That would seem to be nothing more than a waste of fuel.

I don't have the luxury of selling or trading for another one. This one was cheaper than others by far, and provides me a way to get back into bike ownership in my budget, so i'll persist with learning about what i have and make the most of it.
I also live remotely where there are simply no bikes for sale, so i drove a 12 hr round trip to go and get this one... A bit difficult to do thorough inspections and be picky when you basically have to commit to buy before you set off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.