Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"In need of help"
i got a bandit 1200s 2002. when i start it up it makes a popping noise, i taken it to a garage but noise had gone before he could hear anything. all he said is that the engine was fine. i have had the carbs balanced but the popping is still there. the popping is only there when i rev to about 1500 just off tic over. riding at higher speeds the popping dissappears. it also is drinking engine oil.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATFULLY RECIEVED
steve

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Welcome, Steve. Please describe the sound and apparent location of the noise a little more. Also list the last five digits of your VIN.

·
Super Moderator
12,351 Posts
"In need of help"
it also is drinking engine oil.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATFULLY RECIEVED
My idea is you should concentrate on the important things first.....like "it is also drinking engine oil".

Find a new "garage" with a real mechanic and leave it with him for a day or two. I bet the engine is not "fine". :roll:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
are you insinuating that oil consumption is anything but normal there E.R.? :lol:

Find a new wrench. Anything drinking oil isn't "fine". Especially a bandit motor.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Actually, 2001 and some 2002 B12s had faulty pistons and burned up to a quart per 600 miles or more. There was no real ill effect except the cost of the oil.

That's why I asked for the VIN. It'll tell us whether he has the bad pistons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easy rider cheers for the concern about the garage but its one of the best garages in the southwest of england, i would put my bike in his garage but he is fully booked for a few weeks. i use bike every day for work so cant really wait for him

Clint, numbers are 11200 which are black or 101170 which are stamped but no colour on them. the noise is coming from top end of bike and when it pops the inlets from the carbs expand, like the gases are coming back instead of out of the pipes.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Yeah, you're definitely in the bad piston range. Talk with your dealer about the Suzuki service bulletin/recall on that. It may be too late, but a piston swap isn't that hard of a project, from what I've read.

You've got something wrong with the carb tuning. Tell us about any modifications to the intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers clint, you have been a real help. im going to get it checked out.
thanks again
steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts