Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my Suzuki GZ250. Sometimes it will start everyday and run like a top. But then some days it will not start and has a different (muffled) sound when turning over. After a few days sitting, it will start again and run just fine. It keeps doing this and I have replaced just about everything in the carburetor. It has a new fuel filter, spark plugs, premium non-ethanol gas. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
I have replaced just about everything in the carburetor.
Really ??
You are changing out parts INSIDE the carb ?

When it does this, have you tested for spark ?
Have you tried turning the petcock (fuel valve) to PRIme for a minute ??

It will sound different if there is a complete absence of fuel.....OR if there is no spark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it happens I have checked the spark plug and it has a good ignition. I have cleaned the carburetor and replaced the needle valve, valve seat, and jets. The fuel valve on has res...off...on. It does not have a prime setting. When it starts...it runs smooth. When it will not start, if I let it sit for a week or so, it will start and run smooth again until it doesn't start again.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Check the exhaust system isn't clogged up....since you state it sound muffled when it fails to run properly. Then I would be checking for intermittent electrical faults....clean the kill switch....I know ER will tell me off.... but spray some WD40 in there to clear any crap out....also around any connections...plug caps/coil cable connections etc. Check the fuses and relays...for tightness and condition....also all the mounts for corrosion...might as well do the battery cables and posts as well. If this bike has an igniter you might want to check that out as it may be on the way out.

My advice? Do these one at a time to check to see if the problem clears or you may solve it without ever finding out what it was only for it to return later.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
clean the kill switch....I know ER will tell me off.... but spray some WD40 in there to clear any crap out....also around any connections...plug caps/coil cable connections etc.
WD has good solvents but REALLY should be flushed out after with something like alcohol because it will get sticky when it dries.

And I would be testing for spark again in one of it's no-start episodes.
The next test I'd be doing is spraying some starting fluid into the intake to be sure it is a lack of fuel problem before chasing that path any farther.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you checked its battery and wiring because sometimes these two elements are also main cause of problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts